British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Help: Do we have to know each other 2 years? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/help-do-we-have-know-each-other-2-years-92117/)

Rodolfo Boerci Aug 9th 2002 4:53 am

Help: Do we have to know each other 2 years?

Hi all,

I will soon be marrying. I met my wife at school back in January, we fell in love and
now want to get married. I have been in the USA with visas, ect..for the past 15
years, but I'm not yet a permanent resident. I have a question. Ive heard that one
has to have known his/her future bride for over 2 years in order to be eligible for
the green card. Does that mean that my future wife cannot file for the greencard for
me? We really love each other, and this is a real marriage.

Thank you,

Rodolfo

Mrtravel@Sbc Aug 9th 2002 5:48 am

Re: Help: Do we have to know each other 2 years?

You have it mixed up. First of all, she isn't your wife yet. You said you "now want
to get married"

Second of all, the requirement for a fiancé visa is that you have been together at
least one time in the past year. It doesn't matter if you met for the first time last
week, or 5 years ago. As long as you have seen each other sometime in the last 2
years, then you will qualify.

Rodolfo Boerci wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I will soon be marrying. I met my wife at school back in January, we fell in love
    > and now want to get married. I have been in the USA with visas, ect..for the past
    > 15 years, but I'm not yet a permanent resident. I have a question. Ive heard that
    > one has to have known his/her future bride for over 2 years in order to be eligible
    > for the green card. Does that mean that my future wife cannot file for the
    > greencard for me? We really love each other, and this is a real marriage.
    > Thank you,
    > Rodolfo

Ben Johnson Aug 9th 2002 1:33 pm

Actually, he does not qulify for a fiance visa, anyway...as he is not a citizen.
(stated in his original post)

> Second of all, the requirement for a fiancé visa is that you have been together at
    > least one time in the past year. It doesn't matter if you met for the first time
    > last week, or 5 years ago. As long as you have seen each other sometime in the last
    > 2 years, then you will qualify.

Ameriscot Aug 9th 2002 1:52 pm

His fiancée could be a USC.

Bill Aug 9th 2002 2:53 pm

No, not correct. Fiance visa only available for US Citizen. Says he is not yet even
a permanent resident. Fiance visa will not work.

"mrtravel@sbc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You have it mixed up. First of all, she isn't your wife yet. You said you "now want
    > to get married"
    > Second of all, the requirement for a fiancé visa is that you have been together at
    > least one time in the past year. It doesn't matter if you met for the first time
    > last week, or 5 years ago. As long as you have seen each other sometime in the last
    > 2 years, then you will qualify.
    > Rodolfo Boerci wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I will soon be marrying. I met my wife at school back in January, we fell in love
    > > and now want to get married. I have been in the USA with visas, ect..for the past
    > > 15 years, but I'm not yet a permanent resident. I have a question. Ive heard that
    > > one has to have known his/her future bride for over 2 years in order to be
    > > eligible for the green card. Does that mean that my future wife cannot file for
    > > the greencard for me? We really love each other, and this is a real marriage.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Rodolfo

L D Jones Aug 9th 2002 4:18 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:
    > Actually, he does not qulify for a fiance visa, anyway...as he is not a citizen.
    > (stated in his original post)

But his wife probably is (at least this is what I assumed when I read his post). So
he does qualify for K-1. However, he did not say what status he has now. He mentioned
the word student so I assume he could remain in the US, marry, file I-130/I-485 and
adjust from F-1. More information is required.

Rodolfo Boerci Aug 9th 2002 4:34 pm

Hi, to clarify the situation. My fiancee is a US citizen. I'm awaiting the approval
of my I-130 filed on my behalf by my father who is a permanent resident. It's been
years since he filed for me, and our priority date is still not current. If I apply
for the green card through my future wife, then I will have to abandon the I-130 my
father filed for me. I am in the USA, and have been here for over 15 years. So, will
I still be able to apply for the I-130 and I-485 with my US citizen wife, even tho we
have not known each other 2 years? any help would be appreciated.

Thank you Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > His fiancée could be a USC.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Andy Platt Aug 9th 2002 4:37 pm

"Rodolfo Boerci" <[email protected]> wrote ...

> Hi, to clarify the situation. My fiancee is a US citizen. I'm awaiting the approval
    > of my I-130 filed on my behalf by my father who is a permanent resident. It's been
    > years since he filed for me, and our priority date is still not current. If I apply
    > for the green card through my future wife, then I will have to abandon the I-130 my
    > father filed for me. I am in the USA, and have been here for over 15 years. So,
    > will I still be able to
apply
    > for the I-130 and I-485 with my US citizen wife, even tho we have not
known
    > each other 2 years? any help would be appreciated.

You could have met that day, got married and still be able to file. People got
confused with the initial question with the requirements for a fiance(e) visa. Since
you are not applying for that, those rules do not apply.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Rodolfo Boerci Aug 9th 2002 5:00 pm

Thanks much for the clarification.

Do you know what sort of documents we will need to prove that are marriage is legit?
since we met this year, we dont have any tax returns together. I dont even file taxes
cause I just go to school. It's not as if I just came to the USA 6 months ago, I came
here when I was 10 years old and I've been here for over 15 years, speak fluent
english with no accent. Also, I have an I-130 already pending through my father, so
it's not as if I'm getting married for green card purposes. Anyways, in general, do
you know what kind of documentation/proof INS might ask for in order to prove the
marriage is legit in my case?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

rodolfo

Andy Platt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "Rodolfo Boerci" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > > Hi, to clarify the situation. My fiancee is a US citizen. I'm awaiting
the
    > > approval of my I-130 filed on my behalf by my father who is a permanent resident.
    > > It's been years since he filed for me, and our priority date
is
    > > still not current. If I apply for the green card through my future wife, then I
    > > will have to abandon the I-130 my father filed for me. I am in
the
    > > USA, and have been here for over 15 years. So, will I still be able to
    > apply
    > > for the I-130 and I-485 with my US citizen wife, even tho we have not
    > known
    > > each other 2 years? any help would be appreciated.
    > You could have met that day, got married and still be able to file. People got
    > confused with the initial question with the requirements for a
fiance(e)
    > visa. Since you are not applying for that, those rules do not apply.
    > Andy.
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

L D Jones Aug 9th 2002 5:01 pm

Bill wrote:
    > No, not correct. Fiance visa only available for US Citizen. Says he is not yet
    > even a permanent resident. Fiance visa will not work.

If his fiancee is a US citizen it would work

Andy Platt Aug 9th 2002 5:29 pm

When you file you don't need any documents except for the marriage certificate to
show the marriage is legitimate; when you are called for interview you will get a
letter asking for the sort of evidence they like to see. Here's one list of things
you can take (by the time the interview comes around you may have things like joint
tax returns, etc):

http://www.k1faq.com/#6.11.2

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Rodolfo Boerci"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
m
    > Thanks much for the clarification.
    > Do you know what sort of documents we will need to prove that are marriage is
    > legit? since we met this year, we dont have any tax returns together. I dont even
    > file taxes cause I just go to school. It's not as if I just came to the USA 6
    > months ago, I came here when I was 10 years old and I've been here for over 15
    > years, speak fluent english with no accent. Also, I have an I-130 already pending
    > through my father, so it's not as if I'm getting married for green card purposes.
    > Anyways, in general, do you know what
kind
    > of documentation/proof INS might ask for in order to prove the marriage is legit in
    > my case?
    > Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
    > rodolfo
    > Andy Platt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Rodolfo Boerci" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > >
    > > > Hi, to clarify the situation. My fiancee is a US citizen. I'm awaiting
    > the
    > > > approval of my I-130 filed on my behalf by my father who is a
permanent
    > > > resident. It's been years since he filed for me, and our priority date
    > is
    > > > still not current. If I apply for the green card through my future
wife,
    > > > then I will have to abandon the I-130 my father filed for me. I am in
    > the
    > > > USA, and have been here for over 15 years. So, will I still be able to
    > > apply
    > > > for the I-130 and I-485 with my US citizen wife, even tho we have not
    > > known
    > > > each other 2 years? any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > You could have met that day, got married and still be able to file.
People
    > > got confused with the initial question with the requirements for a
    > fiance(e)
    > > visa. Since you are not applying for that, those rules do not apply.
    > >
    > > Andy.
    > >
    > > --
    > > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
    > >
    > >
    > >

Mrtravel Aug 11th 2002 6:07 am

Andy Platt wrote:
    > You could have met that day, got married and still be able to file. People got
    > confused with the initial question with the requirements for a fiance(e) visa.
    > Since you are not applying for that, those rules do not apply.

And the fiance visa doesn't require you know someone for at least two years, only
that you have been together at least oncde in the last 2 years...