Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP! DH could be denied entry.

HELP! DH could be denied entry.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Cali_n_Cheshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP! DH could be denied entry.

Hi.
I am an American/British dual and my DH is British.I need some advice. Last Friday my mom died. We are due to fly out on the 6th to attend her funeral.

Here is the problem.

in 2007 we started the visa process to move to the states. Due to things happening we pulled it out. In early 2009 we got a letter saying we had a year and the visa process would expire and we would have to start over again. Then in sept 2009 we got a letter with a date for interview. DH didnt attend.

We have been looking at starting the process again, as I really want to get back to the US, so DH called to see if we needed to start over or if we can reinstate the visa. In the process of this, he mentions that we are flying to the US for my mothers funeral. The man said that depending on the immigration officer he could be denied entry due to being in process of getting a visa.

My question is this... what documents can we/should we bring to back up that we are planning on returning to the UK. DH is self employed so we dont have an employment letter. We do have that letter they sent stating that it would all expire a year from that date. I am asking my sister to scan and email me my mothers death cert and if we have any funeral paperwork to send that as well. What other documents should we bring?

Thanks for your help. This is so stressful.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! DH could be denied entry.

Originally Posted by Cali_n_Cheshire
Hi.
I am an American/British dual and my DH is British.I need some advice. Last Friday my mom died. We are due to fly out on the 6th to attend her funeral.

Here is the problem.

in 2007 we started the visa process to move to the states. Due to things happening we pulled it out. In early 2009 we got a letter saying we had a year and the visa process would expire and we would have to start over again. Then in sept 2009 we got a letter with a date for interview. DH didnt attend.

We have been looking at starting the process again, as I really want to get back to the US, so DH called to see if we needed to start over or if we can reinstate the visa. In the process of this, he mentions that we are flying to the US for my mothers funeral. The man said that depending on the immigration officer he could be denied entry due to being in process of getting a visa.

My question is this... what documents can we/should we bring to back up that we are planning on returning to the UK. DH is self employed so we dont have an employment letter. We do have that letter they sent stating that it would all expire a year from that date. I am asking my sister to scan and email me my mothers death cert and if we have any funeral paperwork to send that as well. What other documents should we bring?

Thanks for your help. This is so stressful.
Bring anything that proves your husband does not intend to remain in the USA and adjust status to permanent resident. Bring anything that proves his ties to the UK.

There is always a chance he could be turned away at the POE, that's just a real fact. No one can predict what the chances would be ahead of time, it's up to the POE officer to make the determination that he does not have immigrant intent.

You actually have no visa process going on at the moment, anyway. There was no visa to reinstate, because he didn't go to the interview to obtain the immigrant visa in the first place.

If he will be traveling on the VWP, don't forget to fill out ESTA ahead of time.

Rene