Wikiposts

Help! Class B medical

Old Oct 16th 2015, 1:01 am
Just Joined

msjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Class B medical

Husband and I are going the CR1 route and he just had his medical in London. He was given a B classification due to a criminal charge of affray 4 years ago that occurred after he'd been drinking.

The Knightsbridge doctor asked him how much he drinks. He told her he drinks occasionally but not to excess. And the last time he drank was about 2 months ago at a friends house where he had 6 lagers. This sounds like a lot but the alcohol content of English beer is low and he's 6 1/2 feet tall so it's not as much as it sounds like.

But we're worried. What does a B classification mean? And is there anything we should do before the interview to make sure it doesn't cause any delays?
Old Oct 16th 2015, 1:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Class B medical

Originally Posted by msjh
What does a B classification mean?
Class B = physical/mental disorder without associated harmful behavior... which means the physician believes (to some extent) that your husband may have a drinking problem. It means he's not inadmissible (as he would be with a class A notation), which is good.

And is there anything we should do before the interview to make sure it doesn't cause any delays?
There's nothing you can do. The physician has made a determination, and the officer will read the medical report and will either do nothing with respect to it, or he'll require a note from the physician about the prognosis. Either way, there will likely be no long-term issues with the visa.

You might find this interesting.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2015, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian! That document you linked to was very helpful. We already knew there would be a bit more scrutiny due to his conviction and it seems the B classification is just a label for that scrutiny.

I've read that some with class B medical conditions require a follow up exam within one week of arriving in the US. The problem has been that many have not been informed of this during the medical or interview. I suppose he can ask at his interview whether or not there are any follow up requirements due to the B classification.

Thanks again for helping put my mind at ease!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 5:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose he can ask at his interview whether or not there are any follow up requirements due to the B classification.
No... he should not mention it at all... indeed, he shouldn't say anything about it unless the officer specifically asks him for clarification.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2015, 6:37 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Husband and I are going the CR1 route and he just had his medical in London. He was given a B classification due to a criminal charge of affray 4 years ago that occurred after he'd been drinking.

The Knightsbridge doctor asked him how much he drinks. He told her he drinks occasionally but not to excess. And the last time he drank was about 2 months ago at a friends house where he had 6 lagers. This sounds like a lot but the alcohol content of English beer is low and he's 6 1/2 feet tall so it's not as much as it sounds like.

But we're worried. What does a B classification mean? And is there anything we should do before the interview to make sure it doesn't cause any delays?
As others have noted, a Class B finding is not a "per se" ground of inadmissability on medical grounds. However, it is a "heads up" to the ConOff to potential problems with health or ability to make a living. The ConOff may very well inquire about the "public charge" grounds [even though the I-864 is in place].

Please do not get me wrong -- but it would pay not to minimize the fact that there IS a problem with past alcohol abuse. Yes, UK beer is weak in comparison with continental brews, it is NOT weak compared to US commercial brews. Having had an alcohol related conviction AND having had six beers in one event are indicia of alcohol abuse. [And none of this stuff please about up-tight blue nose Americans -- I've had occassion to read the UK literature on the subject].

Bottom line -- hubby should examine his attitude towards what happened in the past. The Class B was a result on being on the "right" side of the alcohol abuse line, but not far. By definition, a Class B is a matter of "serious concern."

Good luck.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As others have noted, a Class B finding is not a "per se" ground of inadmissability on medical grounds. However, it is a "heads up" to the ConOff to potential problems with health or ability to make a living. The ConOff may very well inquire about the "public charge" grounds [even though the I-864 is in place].

Please do not get me wrong -- but it would pay not to minimize the fact that there IS a problem with past alcohol abuse. Yes, UK beer is weak in comparison with continental brews, it is NOT weak compared to US commercial brews. Having had an alcohol related conviction AND having had six beers in one event are indicia of alcohol abuse. [And none of this stuff please about up-tight blue nose Americans -- I've had occassion to read the UK literature on the subject].

Bottom line -- hubby should examine his attitude towards what happened in the past. The Class B was a result on being on the "right" side of the alcohol abuse line, but not far. By definition, a Class B is a matter of "serious concern."

Good luck.
Thanks for the word of caution. I did explain to him (afterwards) that 6 in one night is considered excessive. So hopefully he'll have adopted that attitude by the time of the interview.

As for the public charge concern I thought he could get a letter from his past employer indicating his strong work history and impeccable attendance. And keep the letter in his pocket just in case.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 3:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the word of caution. I did explain to him (afterwards) that 6 in one night is considered excessive. So hopefully he'll have adopted that attitude by the time of the interview.

As for the public charge concern I thought he could get a letter from his past employer indicating his strong work history and impeccable attendance. And keep the letter in his pocket just in case.
it might be a good idea to presume the ConOff had an alcoholic parent and might be unduly sensitive to the problems. Your husband has both positive and negative factors, IMHO it is best to avoid denying there is any problem at all.