Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help - any investigators out there!!

Help - any investigators out there!!

Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Mich111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - any investigators out there!!

My wife is in the final stages of applying for a US passport. We have visited the US Embassy in London and have been told we need to gather one last area of information.

My wife is Scottish and has a Scottish mother and an American father (passed away). She has been requested to prove her dad's whereabouts in the USA 1954 - 1964.(10 years before my wife's birth) She only knew him properly for the last year of his life he died in 2009, so we're really trying to fill in the blanks.

At this point its probably quicker to list the areas we've already tried:

1. Washington passport records: Nil records
2. Social security: List supplied of taxes he paid for 1955 - 1964, however the US Embassy have stated that this doesn't actually prove he was resident in the US for that period; you don't have to be resident in the USA to pay taxes.
3. School records: School reports cover 1955 - 1957 inc.

Unfortunately we've now drawn a blank. It has taken my wife nearly two years to get to this stage and she now feels heartbroken that she'll fall at the last hurdle.

If there is anyone that has any ideas on where to go from here or who has had to go through anything similar I would be grateful for any advice.

Happy New Year Paul
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - any investigators out there!!

Welcome to BE

No, BE does not employ investigators and afaik we don't have any as members.

How could her father have no passport record? Did her Scottish mom live in the US when married to your wife's father?

Does he have any family, brothers, sisters, cousins, nieces, nephews?

Did he serve in the armed forces?

Where did he go to college?

What type of work did he do? Do you know the name of the company?

If you have his social security number, why not hire an investigator to research this for you. It isn't all that expensive and since she needs a US Passport to move to the US and to petition for your immigration visa, it would seem to be worth it for both of you to do this.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mich111
My wife is in the final stages of applying for a US passport. We have visited the US Embassy in London and have been told we need to gather one last area of information.

My wife is Scottish and has a Scottish mother and an American father (passed away). She has been requested to prove her dad's whereabouts in the USA 1954 - 1964.(10 years before my wife's birth) She only knew him properly for the last year of his life he died in 2009, so we're really trying to fill in the blanks.

At this point its probably quicker to list the areas we've already tried:

1. Washington passport records: Nil records
2. Social security: List supplied of taxes he paid for 1955 - 1964, however the US Embassy have stated that this doesn't actually prove he was resident in the US for that period; you don't have to be resident in the USA to pay taxes.
3. School records: School reports cover 1955 - 1957 inc.

Unfortunately we've now drawn a blank. It has taken my wife nearly two years to get to this stage and she now feels heartbroken that she'll fall at the last hurdle.

If there is anyone that has any ideas on where to go from here or who has had to go through anything similar I would be grateful for any advice.

Happy New Year Paul
I suggest quite strongly that you obtain legal counsel on this one. I have a feeling that you have misread the requirements.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rete - Firstly sorry the title is a bit misleading, not actually looking for an investigator just advice on maybe an agency we haven't thought of in the US that could assist. Also forgot to mention that her mum was living in USA when they were married. She moved back to Scotland to give birth to my wife.

1. Her father was never in the Military.
2. He does have family in the USA 2 x Brothers and a Sister. We have a decent relationship with them and have contacted them for any additional info they can supply. Also trying to establish if he ever went to college.
3. Varied work throughout the 10 years, looks like laborer, taxi driver etc We have checked company names many don't exist any more. He did work as Golf Caddy throughout his life and we are in the process of checking through many of the Clubs he worked at.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Could try ancestry.com. It's intended for tracing back long lost relatives, but might prove useful.

They have things like voter lists, census records, etc.

They have a 2-week free trial, so worth a shot.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

2. He does have family in the USA 2 x Brothers and a Sister.
3 x affidavits wouldn't go amiss.

Also, question them to see if they can provide further links. Affidavits from non-family members such as teachers, employers, preachers or even co-workers would also be good.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

We have visited the US Embassy in London and have been told we need to gather one last area of information.

My wife is Scottish and has a Scottish mother and an American father (passed away). She has been requested to prove her dad's whereabouts in the USA 1954 - 1964.(10 years before my wife's birth)
BTW, the syntax of your post suggests that it was necessary to show that your father in law resided in the US for the 10 year period immediately preceding your wife's birth.

The best people to consult with are Robert Mautino and his daughter Kathryn Mautino -- they are the citizenship "mavens" for everyone.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice. I know my father attended All Saints Catholic School in Brooklyn but the school is now closed. I am having trouble locating a contact who can provide me with his school records. Does anyone know who I could contact in this area to get a copy of school records from around 1949 to 1955. Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly suggest you pay attention to post #3 and post #7.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to you all for your replies and especially to S Folinsky, I contacted Robert Mautino as you suggested and he is absolutely fantastic and so so helpful. Happy New Year to yo.