HELP - affidavit or support

Wikiposts

HELP - affidavit or support

Old May 26th 2006, 1:07 am
Just Joined

mmdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP - affidavit or support

Hello all,
I am writing you to ask for some advice from those familiar with spouse I130 petitions and immigrant visa applications.
I am a US citizen by birth but my wife is French. We want to fly back to the US to flee the French unemployment blob. But this process leaves us with some worrisome questions:

- I read that once the I130 petition is approved we'll have (before her interview at the consulate) to submit an I-864 (affidavit of support). However, we are currently both unemployed since the middle of last year. I hope I'll have a job by then but given how things are going, I am not sure. I completely own my house (it's worth less than $50K though). I have about $40k in cash. And we receive about $4k/month between both of us in unemployment insurance until about april of 2007.
Given that we will go the US with no jobs waiting for us, and that won't receive our unemployment insurance after we leave France of course, we will leave on our savings for a couple of months maybe.
I don't think we'll meet the poverty guidelines in the affidavit of support.
ANY ADVICE?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old May 26th 2006, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP - affidavit or support

Co Sponsor, parent, sibling whatever who is resident in the US.

You go back early before the interview and get a job and use that.

Have you been filing your US taxes?
Old May 26th 2006, 3:06 am
Just Joined

mmdan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answer:

Originally Posted by Boiler
Co Sponsor, parent, sibling whatever who is resident in the US.
You go back early before the interview and get a job and use that.
Have you been filing your US taxes?
RE question1 : I have no other person than an uncle. But I have been told the address must stay the same throughout the proces which can last years. It won't. he's months away from selling his house and moving.

RE question 2: Yes I have been filing my US taxes every year. I wish I didn't have to go early. It's going to make things complicated. Is the fact that I filed taxes going to help?
Old May 26th 2006, 3:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mmdan
Thanks for your answer:

RE question1 : I have no other person than an uncle. But I have been told the address must stay the same throughout the proces which can last years. It won't. he's months away from selling his house and moving.

RE question 2: Yes I have been filing my US taxes every year. I wish I didn't have to go early. It's going to make things complicated. Is the fact that I filed taxes going to help?
So Uncle will not?, any friends who would? Who told you that the address can not change, they were wrong. I believe Paris does direct consular filing so that should be months not years. www.visajourney.com has a DCF section.

Basically that is it, it would have been complicated if you had not been filing taxes, just mentioned it as this seems to be a common issue.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmdan
Hello all,
I am writing you to ask for some advice from those familiar with spouse I130 petitions and immigrant visa applications.
I am a US citizen by birth but my wife is French. We want to fly back to the US to flee the French unemployment blob. But this process leaves us with some worrisome questions:

- I read that once the I130 petition is approved we'll have (before her interview at the consulate) to submit an I-864 (affidavit of support). However, we are currently both unemployed since the middle of last year. I hope I'll have a job by then but given how things are going, I am not sure. I completely own my house (it's worth less than $50K though). I have about $40k in cash. And we receive about $4k/month between both of us in unemployment insurance until about april of 2007.
Given that we will go the US with no jobs waiting for us, and that won't receive our unemployment insurance after we leave France of course, we will leave on our savings for a couple of months maybe.
I don't think we'll meet the poverty guidelines in the affidavit of support.
ANY ADVICE?

Thanks,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

I answered you over here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375841

Best Wishes,
Rene