Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help and advice needed...

Wikiposts

Help and advice needed...

Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and advice needed...

L,

Yup. Because everyone has had, or has heard, different experiences from which they draw different conclusions.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Lisa01
Every time we talk to some one the information and advice they give us is different.

Lisa.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Lisa01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Hi,

Thanks for those, i'll pass them on now.

Lisa.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
L,

It would help to understand you story if you used more precise terminology. "immigration" is a rather broad categorization that could include CIS, CBP, and ICE in the Department of Homeland Security and the NVC and consular staff in the Department of State.

What entity has "located everything", and what entity wants you to fax a copy of the petition approval notice?

There is no "approval for the fiance visa", you haven't even made the visa application yet.

Regards, JEff

Hi,

Sorry for sounding confusing, my head is spinning from this all, it was the I129F petition that was approved,and i'm not sure who exactly 'she' was that required the approval notice faxed to her, when my fiance called he was spouting conversations he's had with a supervisor from immigration, and another supervisor from NVC,... he knows exactly who said what and who has what information ,he has records of names,dates,times and departments.All i'm sure of is he's a citizen,born and bred in the US, we're engaged to be married and have filed the I129f so we can then get the K1,so i can move to be with him,my fiance has stayed strong and focused, i am ashamed to say that i have allowed the stress to get to me, which has totally floored me health wise,and lack of sleep is causing my concentration to be a bit wobbly.Maybe i should have my Fiance join here, he knows whats what with forms, applications and different departments.When he talks to me, it's i spoke to someone in immigration, i spoke to some one at NVC.Sorry i can't be any clearer right now.The more i try to work it out the more i confuse myself...Sorry.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
If they have found the case and are forwarding it to your Consulate, there's not much point in trying to arrange a visit. You can contact the Consulate as soon as they have the case and ask them to expedite it.
Do your part by having all of your visa application documents ready now, including the permission for your son to leave the country if he's coming with you, police certificate etc etc.

A job at home is not a requirement for entering the US as a visitor and the Dept of State doesn't rule over entries, another department does.

What happens on the 28th of September?

From the Dept of State;
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html
Important Notice - Visa Issuance is not Guaranteed

No assurance can be given in advance that a visa will be issued to you. Only after all your documents have been checked, your medical examination completed and you have been interviewed by a consular officer, can a decision be made regarding your eligibility to receive a visa. Therefore, you should not resign from your employment, sell your property, make final wedding or travel plans until you receive a visa. A fiance(e) (K-1) visa is valid for travel for a period of six months from the date of issuance. A K-3 visa is valid for travel for two years from the date on which it is issued. In the case of a K-4 visa issued to a child, the visa is valid for two-years or until the date of the child's 21st birthday, which ever comes sooner.

Hi,

Thanks for that, as for the 28th September, my future mother in law booked flights for my son and me,this was after we were told by someone in the state department that my fiance got through to that it wouldn't be a problem to visit while the application was pending,as long as i had proof of return to my home country,which we had...we now know that this information that he gave us was wrong.We have now contacted a Congressman,that my fiance's local senator suggested and my Local MP.We're hoping they can help us.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for that, as for the 28th September, my future mother in law booked flights for my son and me,this was after we were told by someone in the state department that my fiance got through to that it wouldn't be a problem to visit while the application was pending,as long as i had proof of return to my home country,which we had...we now know that this information that he gave us was wrong.We have now contacted a Congressman,that my fiance's local senator suggested and my Local MP.We're hoping they can help us.
For the congressman or ombudsman, you need to get the relevant facts down in chronological order with the correct terminology, and in paragraphs. The easier you make their job, the quicker they can help you.

My advice is to forget all the stuff about visiting, your job and the school situation as it's a red herring. Instead, focus on the goal of arriving here on a K1 visa.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Lisa, I get that you were told by 'Dept of State' that you have to have a job to come here as a visitor, but you do not. I dont' know that I can outright recommend traveling for you right now for several other reasons, but you are NOT barred from visiting right now.

Proof of return to your country in the form of a return ticket is a requirement of using the VWP. You also need to preregister using ESTA online before you travel.

Please stop hoping your MP can help you with this, s/he can not. The immigration liason at your husband's congressperson office CAN make an inquiry for you.

The Ombdsman's office is for USCIS issues, and it sounds to me like you have a Dept of State issue instead.

I'm wondering how much of the confusion is from the improper use of terminology. I-129f petitions *never* show up as actually being at the NVC. Yes, the letter you get says it is going there after approval, but the file generally passes straight through and is sent to the Consulate.

It is also not uncommon for the Consulate to take several days or more to register the fact that they have your file. Just because you were told that it was not on the books does not mean it was not there.

The 'Embassy' call line goes to a building in Scotland and is not staffed by immigration employees. The best bet to reach the people who can actually do something for you is emailing the address I gave (should be the same as the one Scotland gave you).
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice from people who have experienced the same problems, they maybe able to suggest something that we have yet to think of.
I don't really have anything to add that'll help, but I think you might have missed something important that Meauxna wrote. You will likely need written permission from your son's father for him to leave UK jurisdiction.

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't really have anything to add that'll help, but I think you might have missed something important that Meauxna wrote. You will likely need written permission from your son's father for him to leave UK jurisdiction.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I haven't missed that, but thanks anyway...each time i've travelled i have had a letter from his dad to say he knows i'm taking him out of the country,and as for the final move, we came up with an agreement between us which was written in an Affitdavit,looked over by our solicitors,which is being signed and sworn tomorrow morning with a third party solicitor.This has kept it friendly between us for the sake of our son, and saved us the ugliness and cost of a court case,and one less hassle,which is a relief given everything else we're having to deal with now.

Lisa.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna

From the Dept of State;
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html
Important Notice - Visa Issuance is not Guaranteed

No assurance can be given in advance that a visa will be issued to you. Only after all your documents have been checked, your medical examination completed and you have been interviewed by a consular officer, can a decision be made regarding your eligibility to receive a visa. Therefore, you should not resign from your employment, sell your property, make final wedding or travel plans until you receive a visa. A fiance(e) (K-1) visa is valid for travel for a period of six months from the date of issuance. A K-3 visa is valid for travel for two years from the date on which it is issued. In the case of a K-4 visa issued to a child, the visa is valid for two-years or until the date of the child's 21st birthday, which ever comes sooner.
Hi:

I've been following this one. I think that you brought up a huge point -- and this warning has been around for ages. The delay may be a FUBAR -- not seeing the paperwork I can't be sure whose fault it is.

However, OP has exacerbated the problems IMHO.