home. He is planning on coming over again and we would like to get
married...what is the best way to do this? ie visas and permission to
enter the uk etc, any help would be gratefully received, ive been
trawling through all the visa sites and its mind boggling to say the
least!

many thanks

Old Sep 30th 2006, 5:22 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/index_visa.asp?i=41000
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:06 am
Guest21

Originally Posted by Psychocandy
Hello

Im hoping someone will be able to give me the best pointers on which to
proceed...
My boyfriend is from the states we have known each other for two and
half years, earlier this year he came over for a visit and was refused
entry but allowed to stay with me for 4 days and then he had to return
home. He is planning on coming over again and we would like to get
married...what is the best way to do this? ie visas and permission to
enter the uk etc, any help would be gratefully received, ive been
trawling through all the visa sites and its mind boggling to say the
least!

many thanks
Why was he refused?

Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:57 am
Psychocandy

whiskers wrote:

> > Hello
    > >
    > > Im hoping someone will be able to give me the best pointers on which
    > > to
    > > proceed...
    > > My boyfriend is from the states we have known each other for two and
    > > half years, earlier this year he came over for a visit and was refused
    > > entry but allowed to stay with me for 4 days and then he had to return
    > > home. He is planning on coming over again and we would like to get
    > > married...what is the best way to do this? ie visas and permission to
    > > enter the uk etc, any help would be gratefully received, ive been
    > > trawling through all the visa sites and its mind boggling to say the
    > > least!
    > >
    > > many thanks
    > Why was he refused?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Well lack of funds (he was gettin money wired through the next day)
they also said my social status and economical status (i presume they
meant :social ( two children never been married) economical ( i recieve
fam tax credit) that is what they had put on the refusal letter they
gave him

Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:24 am
Shell Elms

Hey,

My boyfriend from the states was refused entry too because he didnt have his bank statement with him, so I know how you feel!

We have been looking into all of this as well, although we want to live in the states.

As far as him coming here, he needs to apply for a settlement visa in the US that allows him more than 6 months here. Then when he gets here you can apply for a fiance visa and then get married. I know its mind boggling so don't take my word for it, there are loads of sites to give you the answers.

Also you are not allowed access to public funds, he has to be able to support himself and if you are living together you will have to come off family tax credit.

We were thinking of my boyfriend moving here until we can move back to the states, but to be honest it is just so difficult for people on low income.

Best of luck to you.....

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:12 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shell Elms
As far as him coming here, he needs to apply for a settlement visa in the US that allows him more than 6 months here. Then when he gets here you can apply for a fiance visa and then get married. I know its mind boggling so don't take my word for it, there are loads of sites to give you the answers.
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it is incorrect.

There is no such thing as a "settlement visa" in the US. It doesn't exist.

The foreign fiance(e) obtains the K1 fiance(e) visa in their home country, NOT in the US. The process starts in the US, when the USC files the I-129F petition. But once that petition is approved, it is sent to the US consulate in the foreign fiance(e)'s home country and they must have the medical exam and interview there. Only once the foreign fiance(e) has their passport with the K1 visa stamped inside can they come over to the US and marry within 90 days of arrival.

Originally Posted by Shell Elms
Also you are not allowed access to public funds, he has to be able to support himself and if you are living together you will have to come off family tax credit.
This is also inaccurate. The USC fiance(e) has to be a financial sponsor in order for the foreign fiance(e) to obtain the K1 visa. The foreign fiance(e) does NOT have to prove that s/he can support him/herself. The USC fiance(e) can be on public funds BUT will probably not earn enough to meet the minimum income requirements. Therefore, the USC will most likely need to get a co-sponsor who does.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:14 am
Psychocandy

Shell Elms wrote:

> Hey,
    > My boyfriend from the states was refused entry too because he didnt have his bank statement with him, so I know how you feel!
    > We have been looking into all of this as well, although we want to live in the states.
    > As far as him coming here, he needs to apply for a settlement visa in the US that allows him more than 6 months here. Then when he gets here you can apply for a fiance visa and then get married. I know its mind boggling so don't take my word for it, there are loads of sites to give you the answers.
    > Also you are not allowed access to public funds, he has to be able to support himself and if you are living together you will have to come off family tax credit.
    > We were thinking of my boyfriend moving here until we can move back to the states, but to be honest it is just so difficult for people on low income.
    > Best of luck to you.....
    > ---
    > posted via:
    > http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

well that was one of the things i had actually looked into, i rang a
few agencies up and they had told me that he was not entitled to public
funds but i would still be able to recieve fam tax, child tax and child
benefit, ...the worse came to the worse coming of the fam tax element
would not be a problem though...thanks for the info

and good luck to you too, i hope everything works out for you both

Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it is incorrect.

~ Jenney

Jenney - they are talking about immigration into the UK, not the US...
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:33 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Jenney - they are talking about immigration into the UK, not the US...
Oh. Why is this thread even in this forum if it has nothing to do with US immigration!?!

~ Jenney
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: help

Oh. Why is this thread even in this forum if it has nothing to do with US immigration!?!

~ Jenney

Is this a trick question?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:46 am
I'm back!

Is this a trick question?
Geez, I'm so confused.

Maybe I should just go back to bed...

~ Jenney
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:47 am
Homebody

Wink Re: help

Geez, I'm so confused.

Maybe I should just go back to bed...

~ Jenney
... and Mark will be a happy man!
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:48 am
I'm back!

... and Mark will be a happy man!
LOL good one!

~ Jenney
Old Oct 1st 2006, 6:25 am
Shell Elms

Sorry my response my have been misleading...

This is not for settlement in the US it is for settlement in the UK.

When I looked into my boyfriend from the states coming to england I was informed he has to return to the states and apply for a settlement visa from the british consulate. When he has this he can then come to the UK and either marry or register a civil partnership.

Old Oct 1st 2006, 6:37 am
Shell Elms

Thats interesting to know. At least you could still claim fam tax if needed.

this is a good site for advice:

http://www.iasuk.org/C2B/document_tr...D=298&CatID=26

If your boyfriend already has entitlement to stay here for longer than 6 months you can apply to the home office for a certificate which allows you to marry. If he doesnt then he has to return to the states and apply for a visa which will give him longer than 6 months and then when here apply when he has at least 3 months left.

Who would have thought there would be so much involved with immigration rules between USA and UK!!!