Wikiposts

Help

Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:13 am
Just Joined

LiLGuru7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help

Hi,

My fiancee handed packet 3 to the embassy a couple of hours ago. She told me that the embassy took her passport and told her to go back to the embassy tomorrow at 1. Is there any reason why they took her passport?

Richard
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:31 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help

LiL,

What do you mean by "handed packet 3 to the embassy"?

Do you mean that she submitted the DS-230I and the checklist? Or did she submit the DS-156 and all the other forms and documentation?

Did she have a conversation with a consular officer or did she just turn in whatever it was at the window outside the door of the consulate building?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by LiLGuru7
Hi,

My fiancee handed packet 3 to the embassy a couple of hours ago. She told me that the embassy took her passport and told her to go back to the embassy tomorrow at 1. Is there any reason why they took her passport?

Richard
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
LiL,

What do you mean by "handed packet 3 to the embassy"?

Do you mean that she submitted the DS-230I and the checklist? Or did she submit the DS-156 and all the other forms and documentation?

Did she have a conversation with a consular officer or did she just turn in whatever it was at the window outside the door of the consulate building?

Regards, JEff
She handed in DS-230I and the checklist. But why would they take her passport?

Richard
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:43 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Richard,

Based on what you said here, I don't know why they took her passport.

If you had said she spoke with a consular officer and turned in all of her other materials, I would have said they took her passport to put a visa in it. That's what keeping the passport and saying "come back tomorrow at 1:00" usually means. But in this case, I can't imagine that....

Maybe, because she has traveled to Bangkok from Cambodia to submit the DS-230I and checklist in person, they are going to interview her tomorrow? Does she have everything ready and with her for an interview (which she should, since that's what submitting the checklist means)?

Good luck, I'll be interested to learn what happens.

Regards, JEff

She handed in DS-230I and the checklist. But why would they take her passport?

Richard
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Does she have everything ready and with her for an interview (which she should, since that's what submitting the checklist means)?

Regards, JEff
Yes. I told her to bring every documents I sent her in case they asked for any.

But it's weird though. I have never heard of this situation before. I'll be suprise if they do interview her tomorrow. But aren't interviews schedule early in the morning?

Richard
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:44 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Richard
Perhaps to stamp the visa in it?

My Cathy had to leave her passport in Madrid, until the visa was approved, and stamped in it- at which point it was given to her.

That is the point of all this, no? That little visa stamp?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by ironporer

My Cathy had to leave her passport in Madrid, until the visa was approved, and stamped in it- at which point it was given to her.

Hopefully they took it to put a visa stamp in there. We all know that's going to happen because she didn't get interview yet. Right now I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.

Richard
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

It is not an unusual situation. As to why I don't know for sure but probably to put the stamp in it. It did cause me concern when I had to leave my passport in the Colombian consulate when I obtained my marriage visa. It was returned fine though. I also had my passport taken from me from an armed attendant in Venuzuela. That was because when I entered it was mistakenly stamped in the exit column instead of the entrance column. Two hours later it was returned and I missed my flight. So you can bet that I inspect carefully each stamp that is placed in it now.

Originally posted by ironporer