Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help; I'll try to keep it short.

Help; I'll try to keep it short.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 10:22 pm
Bob

Default Help; I'll try to keep it short.

Some time ago I met Sveta, from Ukriane, on the internet and we formed a platonic
friendship over about a year. I had decided to go to Poland on a lark to be "out of
my comfort zone". Sveta and I thought about meeting up in Poland but towards the last
minute decided not to. It seemed a bit much. I go to Poland and when I return I find
out that she had also been there for a vacation. We did not meet but we kind of
wished we had. Sometime later she informed me that she had been invited by an
Easteren university here in the states to study in their graduate program, she
decided to take up the offer and that if she got her f-1 she would come a couple of
months early to imporove her english and perhaps she would come to my city to visit.
She had connections here and it made her feel a bit more comfortable. She got the
f-1, she came to my city and we fell in love. After a couple of months she left to
begin her studies back east. After a couple of weeks and several phone calls we
decided, dammit, lets get married. So, she dropped out of the easteren university,
came here, we got married, she applied to the graduate program here and was accepted
(after all, she did come here to study), we filed for AOS, bought a house and some 11
months later we had a baby boy and are waiting for the interview. Sveta was concerned
about the conservitive nature of her parents and did not think they would handle the
idea of her and I getting married after only a couple of months of really knowing
each other so she told them that we had met in Poland and that I had proposed then.
Here's the sticky part. Last week, her mother applied for a visiters visa to be the
God Mother at our sons Christening. At her interview she was asked how her daughter
and I met and she told them the Poland story. Of course she was denied the visa. Now
Sveta and I are worried about how this will effect our upcoming interview. We
absolutely did not meet in Poland. Will this be brought up at the AOS interview? If
so, how should we handle it? She is currently attending the university. We are both
worried that they will not believe us and that she will be forced to go back and we
have our baby and life is so good.

Any advice and/or help would be appreciated,

Bob

Old Sep 7th 2002, 10:40 pm
Gabriela

Default Re: Help; I'll try to keep it short.

You can always tell that you met in Poland..you both have the evidence that you've
been there at the same time right? But I think that you should tell the thruth...how
and when you met and how you decided to get married and why told that story to her
mom. Good luck!

Gabriela

"bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Some time ago I met Sveta, from Ukriane, on the internet and we formed a platonic
    > friendship over about a year. I had decided to go to Poland on a lark to be "out of
    > my comfort zone". Sveta and I thought about meeting up in Poland but towards the
    > last minute decided not to. It seemed a bit much. I go to Poland and when I return
    > I find out that she had also been there for a vacation. We did not meet but we kind
    > of wished we had. Sometime later she informed me that she had been invited by an
    > Easteren university here in the states to study in their graduate program, she
    > decided to take up the offer and that if she got her f-1 she would come a couple of
    > months early to imporove her english and perhaps she would come to my city to
    > visit. She had connections here and it made her feel a bit more comfortable. She
    > got the f-1, she came to my city and we fell in love. After a couple of months she
    > left to begin her studies back east. After a couple of weeks and several phone
    > calls we decided, dammit, lets get married. So, she dropped out of the easteren
    > university, came here, we got married, she applied to the graduate program here and
    > was accepted (after all, she did come here to study), we filed for AOS, bought a
    > house and some 11 months later we had a baby boy and are waiting for the interview.
    > Sveta was concerned about the conservitive nature of her parents and did not think
    > they would handle the idea of her and I getting married after only a couple of
    > months of really knowing each other so she told them that we had met in Poland and
    > that I had proposed then. Here's the sticky part. Last week, her mother applied for
    > a visiters visa to be the God Mother at our sons Christening. At her interview she
    > was asked how her daughter and I met and she told them the Poland story. Of course
    > she was denied the visa. Now Sveta and I are worried about how this will effect our
    > upcoming interview. We absolutely did not meet in Poland. Will this be brought up
    > at the AOS interview? If so, how should we handle it? She is currently attending
    > the university. We are both worried that they will not believe us and that she will
    > be forced to go back and we have our baby and life is so good.
    > Any advice and/or help would be appreciated,
    > Bob

Old Sep 7th 2002, 10:42 pm
Mona Lisa

She probably was not denied the visa due to lying about your meeting, she was denied
because they deny most visitor's visas. I doubt that the state department is going to
relay this info to the INS. I imagine they have more serious problems to deal with.
At any rate, you did not lie to the INS, you lied to her mom, and I don't know that
this qualifies as a criminal offense. mona

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
(bob) wrote:

> Some time ago I met Sveta, from Ukriane, on the internet and we formed a platonic
    > friendship over about a year. I had decided to go to Poland on a lark to be "out of
    > my comfort zone". Sveta and I thought about meeting up in Poland but towards the
    > last minute decided not to. It seemed a bit much. I go to Poland and when I return
    > I find out that she had also been there for a vacation. We did not meet but we kind
    > of wished we had. Sometime later she informed me that she had been invited by an
    > Easteren university here in the states to study in their graduate program, she
    > decided to take up the offer and that if she got her f-1 she would come a couple of
    > months early to imporove her english and perhaps she would come to my city to
    > visit. She had connections here and it made her feel a bit more comfortable. She
    > got the f-1, she came to my city and we fell in love. After a couple of months she
    > left to begin her studies back east. After a couple of weeks and several phone
    > calls we decided, dammit, lets get married. So, she dropped out of the easteren
    > university, came here, we got married, she applied to the graduate program here and
    > was accepted (after all, she did come here to study), we filed for AOS, bought a
    > house and some 11 months later we had a baby boy and are waiting for the interview.
    > Sveta was concerned about the conservitive nature of her parents and did not think
    > they would handle the idea of her and I getting married after only a couple of
    > months of really knowing each other so she told them that we had met in Poland and
    > that I had proposed then. Here's the sticky part. Last week, her mother applied for
    > a visiters visa to be the God Mother at our sons Christening. At her interview she
    > was asked how her daughter and I met and she told them the Poland story. Of course
    > she was denied the visa. Now Sveta and I are worried about how this will effect our
    > upcoming interview. We absolutely did not meet in Poland. Will this be brought up
    > at the AOS interview? If so, how should we handle it? She is currently attending
    > the university. We are both worried that they will not believe us and that she will
    > be forced to go back and we have our baby and life is so good.
    > Any advice and/or help would be appreciated,
    > Bob
--
Mona

Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:05 am
Bob

Mona Lisa <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<gFFe9.43666$%[email protected]>...
    > She probably was not denied the visa due to lying about your meeting, she was
    > denied because they deny most visitor's visas. I doubt that the state department is
    > going to relay this info to the INS. I imagine they have more serious problems to
    > deal with. At any rate, you did not lie to the INS, you lied to her mom, and I
    > don't know that this qualifies as a criminal offense. mona

Mona, Thank you for your response. FWIW;They did tell her that the reason for the
denial was because they felt that Sveta came here to marry me, not study.

Again, thank you.

Bob

Old Sep 8th 2002, 6:53 pm
Bob

"Gabriela" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You can always tell that you met in Poland..you both have the evidence that you've
    > been there at the same time right? But I think that you should tell the
    > thruth...how and when you met and how you decided to get married and why told that
    > story to her mom. Good luck!
    > Gabriela

But by telling them that we met in Poland would be a lie. We did not actually meet
there. I'm worried that they will not believe the truth.

Thanks for your reply,

Bob

Old Sep 9th 2002, 6:33 pm
Mrtravel

bob wrote:
    > Mona Lisa <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<gFFe9.43666$%[email protected]>...
    > > She probably was not denied the visa due to lying about your meeting, she was
    > > denied because they deny most visitor's visas. I doubt that the state department
    > > is going to relay this info to the INS. I imagine they have more serious problems
    > > to deal with. At any rate, you did not lie to the INS, you lied to her mom, and I
    > > don't know that this qualifies as a criminal offense. mona
    > Mona, Thank you for your response. FWIW;They did tell her that the reason for the
    > denial was because they felt that Sveta came here to marry me, not study.

I have heard of them doing this before. However, it shouldn't affect your AOS.
Marriage to a US citizen will generally outweighs prior immigration intent. Of
course, the intent issue may not even come up.

Old Sep 10th 2002, 4:07 am
Paul

[email protected] (bob) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Mona Lisa <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<gFFe9.43666$%[email protected]>...
    > > She probably was not denied the visa due to lying about your meeting, she was
    > > denied because they deny most visitor's visas. I doubt that the state department
    > > is going to relay this info to the INS. I imagine they have more serious problems
    > > to deal with. At any rate, you did not lie to the INS, you lied to her mom, and I
    > > don't know that this qualifies as a criminal offense. mona
    > Mona, Thank you for your response. FWIW;They did tell her that the reason for the
    > denial was because they felt that Sveta came here to marry me, not study.
    > Again, thank you.
    > Bob

I know this is too broad of a generalization, but I would assume that consular
interviewers are always going to be more skeptical that INS interviewers, due to
their unique function. I would also bet that consular staff at the embassies in the
former USSR assume that 49 out of 50 women who apply for visitor or student visas
actually plan on marrying in the US. So I wouldn't be alarmed that your
mother-in-law was told this.

Nonetheless, you had better be prepared to face questions about Sveta's studies. I'm
not saying you should be worried, but it is a natural question. It's good that Sveta
applied to a local university. Was she accepted? Is she studying there now? If so,
I would be sure to bring documentation from the school, preferably a letter from a
professor familiar with her.

Good luck

Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:48 am
Bob

[email protected] (Paul) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...

> I know this is too broad of a generalization, but I would assume that consular
    > interviewers are always going to be more skeptical that INS interviewers, due to
    > their unique function. I would also bet that consular staff at the embassies in
    > the former USSR assume that 49 out of 50 women who apply for visitor or student
    > visas actually plan on marrying in the US. So I wouldn't be alarmed that your
    > mother-in-law was told this.
    > Nonetheless, you had better be prepared to face questions about Sveta's studies.
    > I'm not saying you should be worried, but it is a natural question. It's good that
    > Sveta applied to a local university. Was she accepted? Is she studying there now?
    > If so, I would be sure to bring documentation from the school, preferably a letter
    > from a professor familiar with her.
    > Good luck

Thank you for your input. As for the university: yes, she was accepted, and yes, she
is studying there now; in her second semester.

Thank you, Bob