Reload this Page >

Hello I’m new here 👋🏼

Hello I’m new here 👋🏼

Old May 30th 2018, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Littletank78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hello I’m new here 👋🏼

Hello everyone....
my name is Kirsten and I’m from Aberdeen.

I just registered on this site and am rather overwhelmed by the amount of information on here!!!
I have lived overseas in the past but not in the US.
My partner is from Maine and visits me and the kids as often as he can in Scotland but long term we all want to be together in Maine. New beginnings and all that.

From what I have seen so far it looks like the best option we have is the Fiancée Visa. I would really appreciate any pointers on where to begin in this process to get the ball rolling.
My partner is a US Citizen by birth and has a steady job hence us going there and not the other way around. I am a mum with 2 kids so they are pretty much my job and I’m not looking to jump into the employment market there. We want to be together as a family.
we have already discussed marriage and it is on the cards.
I would be grateful to hear from others who are or have been in my situation. I really want to get this done the right way and avoid wasting time through screwups.
Our youngest child is due to start school in late 2019 and we hope all can be arranged by then so he can go into one school system only.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kirsten
Old May 30th 2018, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello I’m new here 👋🏼

Hi Kirsten and welcome to BE

Just note that the term partner here in the US denotes *spouse* so at first I thought you were speaking of your husband and that you were looking for an Immediate Relative Visa. The Fiancee Visa is not always the best visa for a variety of reasons as it is far more time consuming, not from the stand point of getting the visa, but from applying for the visa, its approval, coming to the US and applying for Adjustment of Status after marriage. There is also the issue of additional fees for the applications and in your case X3 it will be expensive. Both the Fiancee Visa and the Immediate Relative Visa (CR/IR-1) will take from 6 to 10 months for it to finish in London at the US Embassy there.

The wiki listed on the blue bar above has a number of write ups to help you to decide what you may want to do.

Just so you know that the only hinderance I can see at the start is the issue of the children. Do you have permission from their father for them to be removed from Scotland. It can be in the form of a court order or a permission letter drawn up by an attorney (solicitor) and signed by him. Without that, any type of visa for the kids will be a no go.

But then again, you say "our children" so does that mean that the USC fiancée is the father to your two children? And if so, do they have US Passports denoting their US citizenship?

To get your started here is the marriage-based visa comparison chart (which includes the K-1)

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...ge-based_visas

Here is a link to all things USA https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA

Last edited by Rete; May 30th 2018 at 4:46 pm.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

K1 Fiance needs you to get married. So has to be a bit more than on the cards
Old May 31st 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Littletank78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete and Boiler thank you for replying.....
yes, agreed more than “on the cards” is essential. I guess like many people we want to be spontaneous in that decision but immigration seems to make spontaneity unlikely!!!
Thanks for your comment re the children’s father. Their biological father is Scottish and I now realise this is a hurdle I hoped I wouldn’t have to deal with. But I guess I just have to get on with it and talk with him and pray that his response is a good one. I have a friend who deals with family law and she is calling me to discuss this point.
i guess nothing worth having comes easy. Just got to crack on.
Old May 31st 2018, 4:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There is always a fly in the ointment. Good that you have legal help with getting permission for them to leave the country.

May I ask that you discontinue using the bold feature to write your posts. It is rather disconcerting to those of us reading your post and replies. Thanks ever so much.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 12:13 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletank78
Hello everyone....
my name is Kirsten and I’m from Aberdeen.

I just registered on this site and am rather overwhelmed by the amount of information on here!!!
I have lived overseas in the past but not in the US.
My partner is from Maine and visits me and the kids as often as he can in Scotland but long term we all want to be together in Maine. New beginnings and all that.

From what I have seen so far it looks like the best option we have is the Fiancée Visa. I would really appreciate any pointers on where to begin in this process to get the ball rolling.
My partner is a US Citizen by birth and has a steady job hence us going there and not the other way around. I am a mum with 2 kids so they are pretty much my job and I’m not looking to jump into the employment market there. We want to be together as a family.
we have already discussed marriage and it is on the cards.
I would be grateful to hear from others who are or have been in my situation. I really want to get this done the right way and avoid wasting time through screwups.
Our youngest child is due to start school in late 2019 and we hope all can be arranged by then so he can go into one school system only.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kirsten
OP may want to consider getting married in Scotland when friend is visiting.

This saves the need to file for "adjustment" in the US. "Leave To Remain" in UK-speak, but I digress). Do note immigrating on the marriage requires three separate I-130 petitions (spouse plus 2 children).

If a child is between 18 and 21, fiance visa will get that kid in.

No predictions of time-frames are made. In the current anti-immigrant climate, processing times are slipping.