Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance Options for K-1ers? (Particularly from UK?)

Wikiposts

Health Insurance Options for K-1ers? (Particularly from UK?)

Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance Options for K-1ers? (Particularly from UK?)

Does anyone have any suggestions for some short-term major medical insurance for K-1ers? My fiance is a UK Citizen.

Any suggestions of companies offering this type of insurance would be much appreciated. So far, I have heard of International Medical Group. I have also in the past read about those who purchased their insurance before they even left the UK, but I can't seem to dig up these posts.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance Options for K-1ers? (Particularly from UK?)

The UK Financial Services market is full of Travel insurance providers. who will work out best depends on personal circumstances.

You can not help but see adverts, a bit like Dieting plans here.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/

I am sure others could come up with more.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Gaylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate...

I think the post office do a 90 day insurance, dont do what I have done and not get any thinking that you will be ok... since coming over here I had to have a tooth out (over $200 so far) and have dislocated my shoulder (over $1000 so far)....

I wish america had something like the NHS.. I used to laugh at in when I was in the UK...

I am getting added to my wife's insurance as soon as the paperwork comes in, and when I am able to work I intend to get the best medical and dental insurance that I could afford.

One last bit of advice, if you need glasses get them done in the UK, when we were all living in the UK, glasses for my son was free, over here we have just paid $180 for eye test and glasses, the optician would not take the UK eye test as she said it was a different format, however when we compared them they were the same.... (the eye test were $55).

Anyhow good luck....

Jay
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mpd131
Does anyone have any suggestions for some short-term major medical insurance for K-1ers? My fiance is a UK Citizen.

Any suggestions of companies offering this type of insurance would be much appreciated. So far, I have heard of International Medical Group. I have also in the past read about those who purchased their insurance before they even left the UK, but I can't seem to dig up these posts.

Thanks

Hi
I researched this some time ago as I'll eventually need some interim health insurance in the US.
I would be wary of travel insurance, as I think some, if not all, companies will not provide cover if you have no intention of returning to the UK - you'd need to read the terms and conditions very carefully.

Here's a link to a company which offers insurance specifically for folks like...though I don't know of anyone who has used it, so cannot actually recommend it....it could be worth investigating.
If the link does not work, try googling
"Inbound Immigrant" - the name of the firm.

http://www.specialtyrisk.com/insuran...%23%29I3%2C%0A

Hope this helps
Ann
Old Jul 20th 2004, 12:45 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I used expatriate-insurance.com. Very reasonable prices and good cover. I took it out for a month and they said I could keep renewing as and when I needed. As Dimsie mentioned, most travel insurance will not cover you as you won't be returning to the UK.

Jayne
Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Russ&Jayne
As Dimsie mentioned, most travel insurance will not cover you as you won't be returning to the UK.

Jayne
Well technically a KI is not an immigrant visa......
Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler
This may be true, but there are immigrant intentions involved with one. Having the K1 makes it legal to have those immigrant intentions and remain in the US.

As for the original question, I wish I could help. My (now) hubby went for about 1 month without coverage here, and was probably not the smartest thing to do, but luckily it worked out for us.

Good luck!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all! I will look into all these options.

Yeah, we thought about travel insurance but were worried that they wouldn't cover people who intended to stay in the US.

Anyway, if I find anything else interested about this subject I'll reply again to this post.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:06 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler
If you haven't got a return date to the UK most travel insurers won't cover you. It's up to you if you want to lie and take that risk. I found it much easier to sleep at night by forking out the 60 quid instead!