Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for new arrivals on k1

Health insurance for new arrivals on k1

Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really nice
Default Health insurance for new arrivals on k1

Hi I just thought I’d post as I had a bit of a Eureka moment the other day. I’m travelling to the USA next week on K1, so consequently can’t get on a US insurance policy for a few months yet.
After looking at a minefield of international Private medical, travel insurance and emigration insurance I came across a company called 'down under' they are FSA regulated and can provide one way travel insurance for the initial journey plus up to 3 months cover in the USA (other companies do this but for much less that 3 months)
Don’t get me wrong, this is essentially a one way travel insurance policy so is really for emergencies only. It does buy you time to get married and be added to the long term policy though.
Price was very good too. Under £150 for the whole thing.
I know there are other similar post on the forum but when I was looking I couldn’t find any that mentioned this kind of product. Hope someone finds it useful.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for new arrivals on k1

Originally Posted by Fingers crossed View Post
Hi I just thought I’d post as I had a bit of a Eureka moment the other day. I’m travelling to the USA next week on K1, so consequently can’t get on a US insurance policy for a few months yet.
Only if you're going to be getting married towards the end of your 90-day limit. Otherwise, as soon as you marry, you can be added to the USC spouse's existing insurance, effective immediately.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

However, even if you get married the day following your arrival in the US and are added to your spouse's policy there might be a waiting time before the policy kicks in - sometimes up to three months.

You should check with your spouse's (presumably Group) insurance company.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

For me I could not be added until the last day of the next month...we married February 9th, so I could not be added until March 31st. I was just very careful until then!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 View Post
For me I could not be added until the last day of the next month...we married February 9th, so I could not be added until March 31st. I was just very careful until then!
Hi, just though I would chip in!

I moved here in October on a K1 visa too. If you marry within 63 days of arrival, and get added on to your spouse's insurance within the 63 days, you should be covered. This also covers you for any pre-existing conditions. you will however require a certificate of coverage. (I suggest getting this before leaving as I am having a few issues from over here!)

Good luck with everything!

The medical coverage here is not as I had expected, my husband has a very good policy, but still, we have to pay $15 co-pay for doctor visits and unfortunately I married a sporty guy and we have had some unexpected bills!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Your post begs some questions.

Where does the 63 days come from? Is it something specific to your husband's provider?

Why do you require a certificate of coverage, and how quickly do you need it? What's the purpose that you're thinking of?

Thanks.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Wheretostart View Post
I moved here in October on a K1 visa too. If you marry within 63 days of arrival, and get added on to your spouse's insurance within the 63 days, you should be covered. This also covers you for any pre-existing conditions. you will however require a certificate of coverage. (I suggest getting this before leaving as I am having a few issues from over here!)
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:36 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy View Post

Why do you require a certificate of coverage, and how quickly do you need it? What's the purpose that you're thinking of?
Some insurance companies require it to show you have had continuous coverage, which they take the NHS as being, but it's getting that letter that is often the problem.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that clarification. I didn't realize that Wts was talking about getting a certificate of coverage from the NHS, I thought she was talking about getting a certificate of coverage from her husband's provider after being added to his policy.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Some insurance companies require it to show you have had continuous coverage, which they take the NHS as being, but it's getting that letter that is often the problem.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy View Post
Your post begs some questions.

Where does the 63 days come from? Is it something specific to your husband's provider?

Thanks.

Regards, JEff
63 days is the longest gap under HIPAA you can have and still use previous creditable coverage against any pre-existing condition blackouts. The NHS is counted as creditable coverage so you use the certificate of coverage to establish that you can a) credit the coverage and b) how much coverage you can credit. It doesn't affect being able to sign up, it may hugely affect what is covered initially if you have any medical problems.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:57 pm

Thank you for explaining the 63 days, and for confirming that the certificate is with respect to the NHS coverage. Much appreciated.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
63 days is the longest gap under HIPAA you can have and still use previous creditable coverage against any pre-existing condition blackouts. The NHS is counted as creditable coverage so you use the certificate of coverage to establish that you can a) credit the coverage and b) how much coverage you can credit. It doesn't affect being able to sign up, it may hugely affect what is covered initially if you have any medical problems.