Reload this Page >

Have my SSN - Waiting for Green Card

Wikiposts

Have my SSN - Waiting for Green Card

Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

John Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have my SSN - Waiting for Green Card

My wife and I have been in the USA since early June 2010 as Permanent Legal Residents (IR5 sponsored by our daughter; a US citizen by marriage).
We have received our Social Security numbers and cards.
My wife has received her Green Card in August.
However, I was called to an Application Support Centre to have my fingerprints taken (all ten...) on August 12th and am still waiting to hear.

Three questions, if anyone knows -

1) any idea how long I may have to wait for the decision?

2) can I work in the US with my SSN and Stamped (1 year) Visa in my passport or do I need the actual green card

3) how difficult might it be (coming back in) if I leave the USA prior to the green card being issued? (I may have to pop back to the UK for a couple of weeks in November)

Thanks

John Boy
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have my SSN - Waiting for Green Card

If you entered with an immediate relative visa in your passport and received the I-551 at the POE, then you can work and travel outside of the US. The I-551 is your green card until the plastic one arrives in the mail.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:33 am
Just Joined

John Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have my SSN - Waiting for Green Card

Wow; what a fast response! and very concise and helpful.

Appreciated.