Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Have my consular interview at US consulate in Montreal, anything to be afraid of

Wikiposts

Have my consular interview at US consulate in Montreal, anything to be afraid of

Old Aug 1st 2002, 11:20 am
Rawshed

Default Have my consular interview at US consulate in Montreal, anything to be afraid of

My family has an interview for the US immigration/residency in Montreal, Canada. I
live 6 hours south of Montreal in the US. I do have Canadian residency but I have
stayed out of Canada for last three years and stayed 1 yeard in Canada.

The problem which I believe is crossing the Canadian border which has become strict
and mean. Any news or info on crossing the border and how strict are canadian
border officers.

And what about the interview by the US consular, is it tough and do they interview
each family member separately. How much do they charge for a visa.?

I am really nervous and scared of this trip. I will be taking my family.

wish me good luck

Old Aug 1st 2002, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have my consular interview at US consulate in Montreal, anything to be afraid of

On what grounds have your family members applied for US Residency? Was it through you? If so, then you must be a legal resident in the US. And if so, then your Canadian residency is void. It is void regardless of your legal status in the US because you have not lived in Canada for the last three years. That is the point of residency. It is where you live.

I believe immigration visas are approximately $320 US for each family member. At least that is the cost for marriage-based immigration.
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 5:20 am
Saggitaurus913

Default Re: Have my consular interview at US consulate in Montreal, anything to be afraid of

Hi Good Luck for your interview! Wish I could be of some help in answering in your
question,but I have no idea. I am here asking for your help in answering mine. I have
also applied for CP in Montreal.How long does the whole procedure take-from the time
INS sends the papers to NVC after I-140 approval till the interview date. I would
appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 14th 2002, 8:09 am
Rawshed

[email protected] (rawshed) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > My family has an interview for the US immigration/residency in Montreal, Canada. I
    > live 6 hours south of Montreal in the US. I do have Canadian residency but I have
    > stayed out of Canada for last three years and stayed 1 yeard in Canada.
    > The problem which I believe is crossing the Canadian border which has become strict
    > and mean. Any news or info on crossing the border and how strict are canadian
    > border officers.
    > And what about the interview by the US consular, is it tough and do they interview
    > each family member separately. How much do they charge for a visa.?
    > I am really nervous and scared of this trip. I will be taking my family.
    > wish me good luck

Guys, Here is the result I went to Montreal, took the physical 0n 8th in Montreal
with my family. Got the result the next day. Past the weekend, found a cheap motel,
the motel name is Metro Motel(Sauve&Legeunuesse). 13 Aug, yesterday went for an
interview in the US consulate(St.Alexander/Downtown). Had security check, went to 19
floor of the US consulate, took a number from window 25 and waited then went to
window 3 arranged paper by a lady in window and was told the interview will held
afer this. Waited half an hour, went to interview, took an outh and consular was
behind a window, checked the passports(4 in all), checked the expiry date, asked
about what was the current address and was all over Interview was successful and
paid $260 and then got the packets from another window. Took 3 hours in all. There
were atleast four people in front of us. Crossed the border, they took the packet,
asked about the current address Fingerprint and signed the paper by the border INS,
passports were stamped
i.e I155(temporary green card) and was told wait another month or so to get the green
card by mail.

If you guys have any question, please let me know by responding to this thread.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 12:51 pm
Bob Green

Thank you for posting your experience.

Bob

>>...
    > Guys, Here is the result I went to Montreal, took the physical 0n 8th in Montreal
    > with my family. Got the result the next day. Past the weekend, found a cheap motel,
    > the motel name is Metro Motel(Sauve&Legeunuesse). 13 Aug, yesterday went for an
    > interview in the US
consulate(St.Alexander/Downtown).
    > Had security check, went to 19 floor of the US consulate, took a number from window
    > 25 and waited then went to window 3 arranged paper by a lady in window and was told
    > the interview will held afer this. Waited half an hour, went to interview, took an
    > outh and consular was behind a window, checked the passports(4 in all), checked the
    > expiry date, asked about what was the current address and was all over Interview
    > was successful and paid $260 and then got the packets from another window. Took 3
    > hours in all. There were atleast four people in front of us. Crossed the border,
    > they took the packet, asked about the current address Fingerprint and signed the
    > paper by the border INS, passports were stamped
    > i.e I155(temporary green card) and was told wait another month or so to get the
    > green card by mail.
    > If you guys have any question, please let me know by responding to this
thread.