Reload this Page >

Had my citizenship interview today - question

Wikiposts

Had my citizenship interview today - question

Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Had my citizenship interview today - question

I had my citizenship interview today, seemed to go perfectly well - I answered all of my questions correctly - but they've asked for additional information:

1) Evidence of cohabitation - joint bills, statements, tax returns etc. The officer (who was very nice) said that she didn't have any doubts about the validity of our marriage, but they were required for filing purposes.

2) Two more passport pictures, signed.

She said that she should be able to recommend it for approval once she's received the above (of course I don't expect her to say anything definite) - is that unusual? Reading through other experiences on here, I don't see that anyone has been asked for pictures before?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had my citizenship interview today - question

omg, how can you be naturalizing already! Where *does* the time go....

I think they mislaid your photos or they weren't up to spec (there is a pssport photo office across the street from our DO.. it's a common request) and updated evidence of the marriage isn't that unusual either. It could be your office's SOP.

Just get the stuff back to your officer ASAP.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
omg, how can you be naturalizing already! Where *does* the time go....

I think they mislaid your photos or they weren't up to spec (there is a pssport photo office across the street from our DO.. it's a common request) and updated evidence of the marriage isn't that unusual either. It could be your office's SOP.

Just get the stuff back to your officer ASAP.
Thanks Meauxna I think the pics they have are the old format (me looking at 45 degrees to one side) so that's probably why, now you mention it. I'll get in the post quick-quick!

Yeah it's been so quick, we'll have been married 7 years this year. Thought it best to get the citizenship business done and dusted before the patter of tiny feet can be heard! I'll be proud to swear the oath, should they approve me... I love the UK, always will... but this is home now.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that would be it (side view). Got to get with the modern times now.

We too are coming up on 7 years in May...DH did his natz a couple of years ago and feels like you do, this is home now and he's very proud to be able to participate completely.
Hang around and get the love from your fellow CIS sufferers!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on acing the exam. I agree with Meauxna. Not unusual requests. Just curious what you sent originally to verify your ongoing valid marriage and what you took with you to the interview?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, that would be it (side view). Got to get with the modern times now.

We too are coming up on 7 years in May...DH did his natz a couple of years ago and feels like you do, this is home now and he's very proud to be able to participate completely.
Hang around and get the love from your fellow CIS sufferers!
I'll be sure to update my progress! I lurk a lot but the truth is, a lot of my experience is now a flaky recollection... some people on here just have a much firmer grasp on it than I do. I'd hate to impart bad advice.

I was looking through all my immigration docs this weekend in final preparation for today... I-130s, biometrics, medicals, interviews, etc etc.. and I thought wow, I did all *that*? Seems unreal now.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations on acing the exam. I agree with Meauxna. Not unusual requests. Just curious what you sent originally to verify your ongoing valid marriage and what you took with you to the interview?
We sent a couple of utility bills and I had some insurance information with joint names - but they have a specific list and I didn't have any of the items on it. It seems that they're looking for tax returns, joint banking or other financial statements, that kind of thing - stuff that seems to be of a contractual nature.

I nearly took tax returns with me, but to be honest as they wanted new pics (which I didn't have) I'd be needing to send the additional info anyway, so I guess it didn't matter at the end of the day.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speedyvespa
We sent a couple of utility bills and I had some insurance information with joint names - but they have a specific list and I didn't have any of the items on it. It seems that they're looking for tax returns, joint banking or other financial statements, that kind of thing - stuff that seems to be of a contractual nature.

I nearly took tax returns with me, but to be honest as they wanted new pics (which I didn't have) I'd be needing to send the additional info anyway, so I guess it didn't matter at the end of the day.
Don't send copies of your returns call the IRS and they will send you transcripts which are accepted as "official" documents
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Do the docs have to be the originals, or are copies OK? The document (N-14) doesn't specify, which makes me think it's asking for originals?

Also - are tax returns the 'strongest' form or proof? She did say to me that I didn't have to send a whole bunch of stuff, just something to offer as evidence that we still live together.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't send originals of anything important, utility bills etc no probs.

The reason I say transcripts, if you need them is thatyou can doctor a copy of your return, but the transcript is actually what the IRS received.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
I wouldn't send originals of anything important, utility bills etc no probs.

The reason I say transcripts, if you need them is thatyou can doctor a copy of your return, but the transcript is actually what the IRS received.

Well they are not interested in the monetary portion of the return but the status filed under. If you send in copies of your copies, send a copy of your W-2 as well.

Do you and the Mrs. share a cell phone contract with both names or if under one name, shows the two phone numbers? What about any gyms that you both might belong to. Or a letter from your employer stating who is the emergency contact listed with them and who is the beneficiary of the plans offered by the company, i.e. healthcare, life insurance, 401K?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well they are not interested in the monetary portion of the return but the status filed under. If you send in copies of your copies, send a copy of your W-2 as well.
A copy of your return does not prove that you returned it, a transcript of a jointly filed return proves exactly what you did do.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

N,

One can also "doctor" the transcript.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Feb 11th 2009 at 3:42 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that for naturalization the figures are not important, it's the concept of joint life together demonstrated by a joint tax return. My wife sent copies of our Forms 1040 only, which show address, filing status, and have the signatures on them.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Feb 11th 2009 at 3:41 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:37 am
Concierge

A copy of your return does not prove that you returned it, a transcript of a jointly filed return proves exactly what you did do.

You are correct, however, USCIS does accept it as those the DOS on the I-864.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.