Reload this Page >

Greencard Application - and so it begins

Greencard Application - and so it begins

Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

TheGamingX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greencard Application - and so it begins

Hey all,

This forum has been hugely beneficial over the years and I used it throughout my work visa application. I will now be making the step to green card and I have been working hard to get all documents filled in. I know I could pay someone but this one doesn't seem so difficult that the cost justifies itself.

I have 3 questions.

1. Presentation? Is there anything I specifically need to do regarding how I present the documents, should it be 1 binded package for example?

2. The documents, can anyone confirm I have everything I need, should we include any more proof and a slight question around our lease. See list below:

- Form I-130 - Petition
- Form I-130a - Supplemental Information
- Form I-485 - Register Permanent Residence
- 2 x Affidavit of Support
- Form I-765 - Work Authorization
- Form I-131 - Permission to Travel
- 2 x Addavit of Support
- 3 checks for a total of $1760 (Includes Petition, AOS and Medical)
- Appropriate Supporting Documentation
- Marriage Certificate
- Lease agreement (Total of 40 pages x 3 due to 2 extensions, should I include all pages?)
- Dog Adoption Document
- Event Tickets x 7 (Concerts, Universal Studios etc)
- Flights x 4 to varying vacations
- Wedding invite addressed to both of us
- Xmas Cards addressed to both of us
- Moving van quote when we relocated and began living together
- 50 x photos with single sentance description and date; not in all of them together but figure can clearly see its same location. Seemed a bit weird to
just have 50 photos standing next to each other.

3. Regarding the Medical, does this need to be completed prior to application or can I do this during the application process.

Thanks so much everyone!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greencard Application - and so it begins

Hi and Welcome to BE.

Just to be clear, is your Adjustment of Status (AOS) based on marriage to a USC? Or based on your work visa (employer sponsorship)?

Assuming marriage:

1. Don't bind anything. When you say "present the documents" are you talking about when you mail them in, or when you bring them to the interview?

2. What is "2x Affidavit of Support", and why is it listed twice? You need only one I-864, from your USC spouse, unless he/she doesn't qualify financially... in which case you'll need a second I-864 from a joint sponsor.

For evidence of joint life together after marriage, the lease is a good one. Probably don't need all pages, just the one(s) that say its jointly signed. Your other evidence is also fine, as long as it's post -marriage date.

3. People say the medical can be done afterwards, that you'll get an RFE for it, but why go through all that stress? Just do it now and include the sealed results in your AOS package. Then you know you're done.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 26th 2018 at 8:32 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

3 checks? There should only be 1 or 2 checks. I recommend one check for the I-130, and one check for the I-485 and biometrics.

Medical fee is paid directly to the doctor (approved USCIS civil surgeon).

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:12 pm

50 photos is way too many. Pick 5 or so.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

To tack on to Rene's posts, you can find a USCIS approved civil surgeon near you by using this link: https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

TheGamingX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi both,

we were advised to add in 50 photos which is unusual. Around 50% of this evidence is pre-marriage but surely thats considered to verify this is a real relationship. I understand thats the point of all of this.

This adjustment of status based upon marriage.

Regarding Affidavits of Support, this is from 2 friends and witnesses at our marriage. This is a request discussed on the USCIS as a necessary inclusion.

Yes I was talking about when I mail them in.

we only just got married so we don't have alot of proof for post marriage. I've never seen that advice anywhere before so it's interesting feedback! Appreciate the help

The 3rd check was for $85 for the biometrics fee.

Last edited by TheGamingX; Mar 26th 2018 at 10:29 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheGamingX
we were advised to add in 50 photos which is unusual.
Advised by whom? 50 photos is too many.

Around 50% of this evidence is pre-marriage but surely thats considered to verify this is a real relationship. I understand thats the point of all of this.
No. The point is not that is was a real relationship prior to marriage. USCIS wants to see how you have co mingled your lives AFTER marriage. As newlyweds, you might not have much, but that's OK. USCIS understands this.

Regarding Affidavits of Support, this is from 2 friends and witnesses at our marriage. This is a request discussed on the USCIS as a necessary inclusion.
Those are "sworn affidavits", not affidavits of Support. They are not necessary requirements, but can help support your case if your other evidence is lacking. It's fine to include them.

Actually, for AOS applications, none of your evidence of joint life together gets included in the AOS package. It gets taken to the AOS interview.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

3. People say the medical can be done afterwards, that you'll get an RFE for it, but why go through all that stress? Just do it now and include the sealed results in your AOS package. Then you know you're done.

Rene
This is a judgement call. Medicals are no longer considered revalidated after one year. Adjustments now often take longer than a year. So, having a medical about to expire on the one-year anniversary can be nerve racking.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This is a judgement call. Medicals are no longer considered revalidated after one year. Adjustments now often take longer than a year. So, having a medical about to expire on the one-year anniversary can be nerve racking.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the note!

Rene