Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

green card still not arrived

green card still not arrived

Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default green card still not arrived

Hi everyone... been a while since I've been on but we are finally settled in Wisconsin (where it is bloody freezing lol).

Hubby (ukc) arrived a month ago, Feb 12 to be precise, and received his ssn within a week. However there is still no sign of his greencard. Tried calling uscis this morning but they will only speak to hubby who is currently at work. So hoping in the meantime you lovely people might be able to give me some indication as to how long it normally takes for card to come.

Also, I know that there is now an extra payment required for any visas approved after Feb 1 2013, but hubby 's was approved Oct2012.

Thanks guys
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Re: green card still not arrived

Oh and also meant to mention that hubby temp visa stamp in his passport has just expired
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:44 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What is this "temp visa stamp"? Are you perhaps referring to his immigrant visa, which was issued 5 months ago?

If so, the expiration is meaningless since it's a one-use visa and he made the one use already. It's now an I-551 valid for one year from the date he used the visa.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
Oh and also meant to mention that hubby temp visa stamp in his passport has just expired
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great thanks Jeff. Yes that is the stamp I was referring to. Thanks for explaining the validity of I 551. Is this evidence enough to show to the dmv prior to my husband's green card arriving so he can get his Wisconsin license?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the Wisconsin DMV will accept as evidence of PR status. (Other than an actual I-551, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Wisconsin DMV employees or contractors don't know, either.)

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 13th 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lol yes I will be very surprised if the local dmv have in our small rural town have ever dealt with anyone who is not a US citizen. I guess we will just go down with his passport/I-551 and proof of address and see what happens. Thanks guys

Last edited by MrsWaring; Mar 13th 2013 at 6:37 pm. Reason: auto correct mistake
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It can take several weeks or a few months for the plastic green card to come in the mail. If it doesn't appear after say, 3 months after his arrival, make an InfoPass appointment (he needs to go in person) to follow up.

Meanwhile, the temp I-551 is good for 1 year so he can travel and show proof of his PR status. I don't know if DMV accepts that or not, the only way to know is to go in person and try.

Rene
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

This might help:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...roof-legal.htm
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Renee. This is exactly what I'm thinking too.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Renee. This is exactly what I'm thinking too.
Has he had the Welcome to America letter yet. If so the GC will not be far behind it.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope, no welcome to America letter. only thing he has received was his ssn about a week after he arrived.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no welcome to America letter. only thing he has received was his ssn about a week after he arrived.
The letter should come (doesn't always) just before the GC arrives and is a good way to know it is in the system. Four weeks is the soonest to expect it really and a bit longer isn't unusual.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Ian. That has reassured me heaps
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

I'm due to leave next month (to Wisconsin too as it happens) and the letter I got with my returned passport said it can take up to six months for the Green Card to arrive in the post.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh thanks Chris. That is also reassuring.

Where in Wisconsin are you moving to? Hopefully in a month the foot and a half of constant snow we have had since I got here in Jan will have disappeared lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.