Reload this Page >

Green Card Renewal Timeframe

Green Card Renewal Timeframe

Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

RcknRbn81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Green Card Renewal Timeframe

Hi, all!

My husband became a PR on Sept 29, 2015, so we're 18 months in. His green card expires on Sept 29, 2017. I read on the USCIS website that his Green Card renewal application should be submitted 6 months prior to expiration, however, the form instructions say to submit 90 days prior to expiration.

Which one is it?

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Renewal Timeframe

It sounds like this will be an application for Removal of Conditions, not a renewal. So the I-751 must be submitted within the 90 day window just prior to his 2-year anniversary as a PR.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RcknRbn81
I read on the USCIS website that his Green Card renewal application should be submitted 6 months prior to expiration...
True - but your husband isn't renewing his green card. He's filing to remove the existing conditions on that status.

... the form instructions say to submit 90 days prior to expiration.
The form is correct. He must file within the 90-day window immediately prior to the expiry date on his green card. He must not file even one day early because the application will be rejected. He must not file even one day late because he will cease to be a PR the day his status expires if he hasn't filed to remove the conditions.

For your husband specifically, he must not file prior to July 1, 2017 and he must not file later than September 29, 2017.

Ian
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It sounds like this will be an application for Removal of Conditions, not a renewal. So the I-751 must be submitted within the 90 day window just prior to his 2-year anniversary as a PR.

Rene
Okay, awesome. I had a piggy-back question, but as I looked, I found my own answer. I will NOT need to submit an I-90, according to the site: "DO NOT submit this form if you are a conditional resident seeking to remove conditions on your Green Card. If you are a conditional resident, you must submit one of the following:

Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, to remove conditions on a Green Card obtained through marriage"

Does this mean he will be issued a new green card at the time the I-751 is processed?
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

For your husband specifically, he must not file prior to July 1, 2017 and he must not file later than September 29, 2017.

Ian
Thank you, Ian! I appreciate your breakdown! I try to really do my research before I come to you all with questions, but every once in a while something throws me off.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RcknRbn81
Does this mean he will be issued a new green card at the time the I-751 is processed?
Assuming the successful removal of conditions, yes... one that is valid for 10 years. If he's considering naturalizing as a USC, he can submit the N-400 application whenever he's eligible, even if the I-751 has not yet been adjudicated.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

You will receive a letter from USCIS when it is time to file to remove conditions.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amie06
You will receive a letter from USCIS when it is time to file to remove conditions.
Maybe, maybe not. We never got one.

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

I received a renewal letter 2 weeks ago, maybe Donald trump sent it
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amie06
I received a renewal letter 2 weeks ago...
As Rene notes, it's hit or miss on the renewal notice. Personally, I have no confidence in the US government's ability to notify me of anything that could be seen as remotely advantageous to a non-US citizen. It is always the green card holder's responsibility, not the government's, to know when to file to remove conditions.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I should have posted "you MAY" get a letter.