Green Card Renewal

Old Dec 18th 2020, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

kbales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card Renewal

Hi everyone!

It's almost been two years since my British husband received his green card, which means we need to figure out how to renew (not sure if that's the correct word). My first thought was to come to you all because I couldn't have gotten through the original green card application without you!
I guess my main question is, how do we begin? We haven't received any letters or emails pertaining to the upcoming expiration date. I've looked on the USCIS website but it looks like it still has his information from the original application.
Any advice is appreciated!

*also sorry, I just realized I usually post in the Marriage Based Visas section. I hope this is okay here as well.

Last edited by kbales; Dec 18th 2020 at 12:54 am.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 12:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Renewal

You don't renew a 2 year conditional green card. You need to remove the conditions by completing form I-751 and submitting it within the 90 day window before its expiration. It is a long wait process but he will receive an extension letter in the mail good for 18 months while the petition is being adjudicated.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

kbales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green Card Renewal

Thank you Rete! And thank you for clarifying what the action is called - I figured it wasn't renewal.

I'll look for the I-751 online now. The expiration date of his green card is mid-January.