Reload this Page >

Green card removal of conditions timeline

Green card removal of conditions timeline

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card removal of conditions timeline

Hi all

I have a green card that I got through marriage which expires this year in September. I had my green card interview in early 2018 and the lady who conducted the interview told me that I needed to renew my green card 90 days before expiry. She then qualified that by saying September 2019.....however my green card expires in September 2020, not 2019 (I figured she just mis-spoke).

Some additional googling suggested that my guess was correct. However, with the current COVID-19 things going on, I decided to call USCIS the other day and the guy I spoke to said that I should apply 6 months in advance, not 3.

Can someone tell me which of these numbers is correct? I've had the document all filled out and ready since last year, but I don't want to send it too early in case it gets rejected(which could add additional time to my application)...
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Jasskatten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green card renewal timeline

I am assuming that you were married less than two years when you had your interview. In that case you become a conditional permanent resident and get issued a conditional green card valid for two years. Three months before the conditional green card is not valid you have to apply to remove conditions, using form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

The confusion when you called USCIS might be because you called it renewal of green card instead of removal of conditions. If/when you get issued a regular ten year green card without conditions, you can apply to renew that at the end of the ten year period six months before it expires.

Last edited by Jasskatten; Apr 22nd 2020 at 2:42 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 12:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card removal of conditions timeline

You can submit the I-751 90 days before the expiration of your Green Card. Before that it will be rejected unless you are applying with a waiver request.

I submitted mine a full 6 months before my conditional GC expired, but that's because I had just got divorced and was requesting a waiver.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 22nd 2020 at 1:19 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green card removal of conditions timeline

Originally Posted by civilservant
You can submit the I-752 90 days before the expiration of your Green Card. Before that it will be rejected unless you are applying with a waiver request.

I submitted mine a full 6 months before my conditional GC expired, but that's because I had just got divorced and was requesting a waiver.

That's what I thought. Thank you!