British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Green card - how long? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/green-card-how-long-881463/)

littledorrit Aug 5th 2016 3:19 am

Green card - how long?

Hi!
I arrived in the US in my cr1 visa at the beginning of July, but still haven't received my green card. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it takes up to 6 weeks? Does anyone know if this is correct?
(I know the stamp in my passport covers me in the meantime)
Thanks

Noorah101 Aug 5th 2016 3:30 am

Re: Green card - how long?

It can take up to several months.

Rene

ian-mstm Aug 5th 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by littledorrit (Post 12020324)
I arrived in the US in my cr1 visa at the beginning of July, but still haven't received my green card.

Did you pay the $165 processing fee?

Ian

littledorrit Aug 5th 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12020540)
Did you pay the $165 processing fee?

Ian

Yes - paid it before I flew here...

littledorrit Aug 5th 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12020330)
It can take up to several months.

Rene

Wow - longer than I thought.

Noorah101 Aug 5th 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by littledorrit (Post 12020717)
Wow - longer than I thought.

That's why the stamp is good for 1 year...in case the plastic card takes months to come in the mail.

Rene

Tronnie Aug 16th 2016 3:30 pm

I entered on 25th May, having paid the $165 3 days before I flew, and have still not received the physical green card. I went back to UK in July for a holiday and to see family and re-entered through JFK using the stamp in my passport, and all was fine.

Pulaski Aug 16th 2016 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by littledorrit (Post 12020324)
..... I arrived in the US in my CR-1 visa at the beginning of July, but still haven't received my green card. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it takes up to 6 weeks? Does anyone know if this is correct? .....

No, it's at least six weeks, so the window for receiving yours has only just barely opened!

slices Aug 17th 2016 11:29 am

Arrived at the start of June and still waiting. Does the original expiring date of the visa have any baring at this point?

Pulaski Aug 17th 2016 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by slices (Post 12028499)
Arrived at the start of June and still waiting. Does the original expiring date of the visa have any baring at this point?

That is now wholly irrelevant.

Rete Aug 17th 2016 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by slices (Post 12028499)
Arrived at the start of June and still waiting. Does the original expiring date of the visa have any bearing at this point?

The visa is expired the moment you used it to enter the US.

Neither does the I-551 date in your passport have any bearing. If you don't get your physical card before the one year expiration date on the existing I-551 stamp, then 90 days before its expiration make an infopass appointment at the local USCIS office to you and inquire as to where the card is and obtain an extension of the stamp itself.

zzrmark Aug 18th 2016 1:51 am

Mine arrived on December 1st last year, one day short of five weeks after POE. Like everything else on this journey, everyone reports differing times. If it's any comfort to you, my card has only yet come out of my wallet when curious relatives/friends want to know what it looks like, unlike my driving licence which serves as a National Identity Card and seems to be required as proof of identity far more often than my UK licence ever was.

I'm a greying, well worn 47 year old and have been carded more times when buying alcohol in the USA in the last 9 months than in the past (cough) 32 in the UK! ;)

Pulaski Aug 18th 2016 2:26 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12029112)
Mine arrived on December 1st last year, one day short of five weeks after POE. Like everything else on this journey, everyone reports differing times. If it's any comfort to you, my card has only yet come out of my wallet when curious relatives/friends want to know what it looks like, unlike my driving licence which serves as a National Identity Card and seems to be required as proof of identity far more often than my UK licence ever was. ....

Until I surrendered my green card for citizenship I used to use my green card as ID whenever anyone asked for ID (Mrs P said I was being "obnoxious". :o) Back then it was much more common to ask for ID using a credit card, so that was mostly why I was asked for ID. Out of all the times I showed my green card as ID, undoubtedly many dozens of times, maybe a hundred times, two people asked me what the card was, TWO! :blink: ...... I am convinced that the overwhelming majority of the rest had no idea what the card was that I showed them. :lol:

livinginnyc Aug 18th 2016 3:17 pm

Hi!
I filed adjustment of Status (AOS) in April 2015 - was approved December 2015, but it turned up with incorrect data, and the second GC arrived in April 2016 after an expedite request. (Note this was K1 not CR1 but I believe the processing times are similar). So as others have said, takes several months.

Tronnie Sep 2nd 2016 7:12 pm

Update - after entering the US on May 25th, my green card arrived today, so 14 weeks and 2 days after entering on the IR1 visa. End of a journey which started on December 9th 2015!