Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card expires Nov...

Green card expires Nov...

Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card expires Nov...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You will get a notice stating 1-year extension on your PR status. Using your expired green card plus this letter, you can travel abroad.
You can travel abroad with just your passport - the expired conditional green card plus letter are only useful when traveling back to the US.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iarnell
You can travel abroad with just your passport - the expired conditional green card plus letter are only useful when traveling back to the US.
Yes. I neglected to state "and return to the USA". I thought that was my obvious meaning.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how close to the due date for removal of conditions one can cut it before sorting out the I-751?
What with busy work, new home, hurricanes (meaning even longer hours, making peoples roofs safe/mended) and diddly squat in the way of spare funds, I have somewhere near 30 days remaining of the 90 day period...
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can file any day within the 90 days just before the 2- year expiration.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 5:40 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I wonder how close to the due date for removal of conditions one can cut it before sorting out the I-751?
What with busy work, new home, hurricanes (meaning even longer hours, making peoples roofs safe/mended) and diddly squat in the way of spare funds, I have somewhere near 30 days remaining of the 90 day period...
If you are late in filing, the law requires you give an excuse. Up onto now, the minions of the dark forces have accepted any excuse as long as one is given. Do note that the 90 day window applies to joint petitions and not for a waiver of the joint petition.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Stribs, how is your R.o.C. progressing?

I sent mine in the week before it was due at the end of October. I posted it as registered mail (which I do whenever dealing with any kind of officialdom, removes any doubt that they received mail!) and received a letter notifying me of a one year extension until application was processed within a week of them receiving the application.
Yesterday, just six days after the expiry date (as stamped) on my Green Card, I received an appointment for biometrics ten days from now...
Old Nov 6th 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Hey Stribs, how is your R.o.C. progressing?

I sent mine in the week before it was due at the end of October. I posted it as registered mail (which I do whenever dealing with any kind of officialdom, removes any doubt that they received mail!) and received a letter notifying me of a one year extension until application was processed within a week of them receiving the application.
Yesterday, just six days after the expiry date (as stamped) on my Green Card, I received an appointment for biometrics ten days from now...
General comment -- "registered mail" is slower than "certified mail" and costs more. Both cause delivery confirmation. The reason that "registered" mail is slower is that it travels in a separate track with security against theft all the way. As a general rule, the practice has been to use "certified mail, return receipt requested."
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General comment -- "registered mail" is slower than "certified mail" and costs more. Both cause delivery confirmation. The reason that "registered" mail is slower is that it travels in a separate track with security against theft all the way. As a general rule, the practice has been to use "certified mail, return receipt requested."
Interesting to know, cheers. It may well have been certified mail, I just asked for the cheapest service that gets a signature at the other end, it came with the added bonus of tracking. Bizarrely enough, it was cheaper for me to pop my small addressed envelope into a USPS heavy card type wallet than to send it in the envelope alone???
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

I have my I-797 which extends me to November 21st 2018. I havn't heard anything back yet and conscious that date is fast approaching.

Checking my status on UCIS it currently reads... "On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number xxxxxxx, at your local office. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address"

I have not moved. What should I be doing at the moment, is there a way to get a further extension?

Thanks

​​​​​​​Stribs
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Stribs
I have my I-797 which extends me to November 21st 2018. I havn't heard anything back yet and conscious that date is fast approaching.

Checking my status on UCIS it currently reads... "On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number xxxxxxx, at your local office. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address"

I have not moved. What should I be doing at the moment, is there a way to get a further extension?

Thanks

Stribs
Make an Infopass appointment to go in to your local USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does that surprise you? Strikes me as exactly what we've come to expect from USCIS.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem but the system was also down for days. I just kept trying every day and eventually a date was available. I think they are aware of this and I took a snapshot of the screen with me, just in case!
Old Oct 10th 2018, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

So ive been trying everyday and occasionally it will have dates, but when clicking on any date or 'next week' there is no reaction from the website. Ive tried many devices and browsers.

i called usic and was told theres no telephone number for the field office (Philadelphia) and to keep trying the website.

if i just turn up at the infopass center without an appointment can i wait and get some answers?

Other than that, whats my options? Should a new letter automatically come extending my visa.

Thanks
Stribs
Old Oct 10th 2018, 5:24 pm

So ive been trying everyday and occasionally it will have dates, but when clicking on any date or 'next week' there is no reaction from the website. Ive tried many devices and browsers.

i called usic and was told theres no telephone number for the field office (Philadelphia) and to keep trying the website.
Correct.

If i just turn up at the infopass center without an appointment can i wait and get some answers?
Maybe, although my understanding is that local offices no longer take walk-ins.

Other than that, whats my options?
I don't think there are any.

Should a new letter automatically come extending my visa.
No. And also, you don't have a visa.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.