Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card expires Nov...

Green card expires Nov...

Old May 2nd 2017, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green card expires Nov...

Hi,

I have been a perminent resident for almost 2 years and my green card has the expiration of November. I want to head to England for Christmas. Will this be a possibility. How long does the renewal process take. I could not find any specific info on renewing the green card.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Stribs
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card expires Nov...

Originally Posted by Stribs
Will this be a possibility.
Yes, but not with your current green card which will be expired by then.

How long does the renewal process take.
Are you actually renewing, or are you removing conditions on your status? If you're removing conditions, once you file you'll get a letter extending your status for one year... and that letter along with your expired green card will be valid for travel.

I could not find any specific info on renewing the green card.
Whether you're renewing or removing conditions - it could take 6-12 months or more.

Any info would be great.
Make an InfoPass appointment to get your passport stamped if you're actually renewing!

Ian
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

RayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to behold

You must apply to remove conditions 3 months before it expires, then you get a 10 year one.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayAme
You must apply to remove conditions 3 months before it expires, then you get a 10 year one.
Actually the I-751 must be filed within the 90-day window just before the 2-year card expiration.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:35 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure Stribs needs to do the remove conditions process vs renewal.

K1 visa, right Stribs?
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Pretty sure Stribs needs to do the remove conditions process vs renewal.

K1 visa, right Stribs?
Thanks for the replies guys. Rich you're correct, a little further investigation and I can see that I need the conditions removed. So I see the form you mentioned is the next step within that 90 day window. I couldn't see any payment info but I've learned that can't be possible. Any info on this?

Once I submit the form is the next step getting a green card for 10 years, hoe long does it take to get the new card??
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Payment info is at www.uscis.gov, look at form I-751 page.

You will get a notice stating 1-year extension on your PR status. Using your expired green card plus this letter, you can travel abroad.

You will also go for another biometrics appointment.

It can take more than a year to get the 10-year card in hand, but in the meantime you can apply for citizenship whenever you're eligible.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Once I submit the form is the next step getting a green card for 10 years...
Usually, yes. On rare occasions, you'll get called in for an interview - but not usually.

... hoe long does it take to get the new card??
Answered in post #2. That's why the extension letter is important... it proves your status as a PR. If it's getting close to 12 months and you don't hear anything (keep in mind that the I-751 is one of the lowest priority applications because your status doesn't change at all) then you can make an InfoPass appointment and get a stamp in your passport that extends your status for yet another year.

As Rene notes, apply for naturalization as soon as you're eligible. Submitting an N-400 will force adjudication of the I-751 - since conditions must be removed prior to your N-400 being approved.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Usually, yes. On rare occasions, you'll get called in for an interview - but not usually.

Answered in post #2. That's why the extension letter is important... it proves your status as a PR. If it's getting close to 12 months and you don't hear anything (keep in mind that the I-751 is one of the lowest priority applications because your status doesn't change at all) then you can make an InfoPass appointment and get a stamp in your passport that extends your status for yet another year.

As Rene notes, apply for naturalization as soon as you're eligible. Submitting an N-400 will force adjudication of the I-751 - since conditions must be removed prior to your N-400 being approved.

Ian
Thanks as always. Do yu have to lose your UK passport to become a US citizen?
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks as always. Do yu have to lose your UK passport to become a US citizen?
No you can be a US and UK dual citizen and hold both passports. Many here on BE do, including me.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I could not find any specific info on renewing the green card.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Stribs
My renewal is due just before yours. I seem to recall the admitting officer (when I first entered the US as PR) handing me a sheet of paper with details on it for the two year renewal. I also remember him telling me not to lose it, so it's safely stashed in the filing cabinet with all my USCIS/DHS paperwork and will emerge like a butterfly from it's cocoon at the end of August....
Old May 4th 2017, 1:05 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
My renewal is due just before yours. I seem to recall the admitting officer (when I first entered the US as PR) handing me a sheet of paper with details on it for the two year renewal. I also remember him telling me not to lose it, so it's safely stashed in the filing cabinet with all my USCIS/DHS paperwork and will emerge like a butterfly from it's cocoon at the end of August....
This doesn't seem the same scenario. On admittance with K1 you don't have anything to renew in 2 years. Maybe you were already married but less than 2/3 years - IR1 vs CR1?
Old May 4th 2017, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't seem the same scenario. On admittance with K1 you don't have anything to renew in 2 years. Maybe you were already married but less than 2/3 years - IR1 vs CR1?
No idea what the OP's situation is but assumed CR1, like myself.
Old May 4th 2017, 1:41 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
No idea what the OP's situation is but assumed CR1, like myself.
Post#6 Plus, I did K1, albeit in 2004 and got no such information. No harm done, I just didn't want Stribs to have a conniption
Old May 4th 2017, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Post#6 Plus, I did K1, albeit in 2004 and got no such information. No harm done, I just didn't want Stribs to have a conniption

Ah, right. I now recall reading it, seems my short term memory is right up there with a goldfish's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.