Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Great start to the New Year!

Wikiposts

Great start to the New Year!

Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great start to the New Year!

Originally Posted by NicciT
I knew you could get advanced parole but isn't that just for emergencies?
Many people, when reading the I-131 form, confuse the word "emergent" with "emergency". They aren't the same... by a long shot! If you wake up tomorrow morning and suddenly decide you need to make a quick run to the store... that's an emergent situation.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great start to the New Year!

Originally Posted by NicciT
Well we were told that the 2 year thing was until my AOS was sorted and i have a green card. I knew you could get advanced parole but isn't that just for emergencies? I saw that its $300 so do i need that everytime i leave or is it just a one off fee? Re the SS I'll look into the paperwork for that now and then i can get it filed asap as after 3 months of no job i know i'll be wanting employment and if i have my SS sorted then i only need my EAD
Told by who? (whom? I always forget.) It's useful to know where that sort of misinformation is coming from.

I think you need to review the AOS wiki too. There is no charge for the AP + EAD when filed with the I-485.
Adjustment Of Status Help Guide: AOS from a K-1 Fiance or K-3 Spouse Visa

You will need a SS# for many other things besides employment so it's very beneficial to get that right away (10 days from entry).

Your AOS should only take about 6 months or less to be decided, and then you will have a Green Card for traveling.

Two years after your Green Card approval date, you will have another form to file (I-751, Removing Conditions).

The only travel restriction is after entering on the K-1 until receipt of Advance Parole. AP arrives 60-90 days from application, which is made after you are married.