Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Great start to the New Year!

Wikiposts

Great start to the New Year!

Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice
Default Great start to the New Year!

So I just got my K1 visa approved yesterday YAY and thought I'd post my experiences to help others as I know these posts helped me.

I travelled up Monday night as I had a 9 am interview and knew I'd be hard pressed to get there if I left it until the morning and I stayed at Marylebone Travelodge (the less said about that the better).

I set off at around 7 am in pursuit of Goulds Pharmacy which was a doddle to find following their map on their website (just down the road opp Selfridges) and waited the 5 mins for them to open so I could get my visa photos and drop my phone off. The photos were £7.50 for 4 and the phone cost £3 to store (very secure process for anyone worried).

I went for breakfast in Starbucks just up the road and then joined the queue for the embassy. According to my ticket I arrived at 8.08. I would advise that anyone going for an intervew 1 wear a watch (it seems like you're waiting much longer than you are) and 2 take a book (everyone else seemed to know this apart from me as I thought there might be the news on at least).

They called hundreds of N numbers but I had an I number and I was called to my first window at 9.40 (I had thought it must be gone 10 by the time I was called as I don't wear a watch, usually rely on my phone). The lady was very nice and took my fingerprints on the computer thing and asked me to sign my forms I'd sent in and asked for two photos. I then had to go to another window to pay the visa fee (£81 that day) and give the receipt to her. She then asked me for my birth certificate, my police certificate and my affidavit of support with the supporting docs.

She gave me my chest x-ray and a pink form to fill out while I was to wait for the interview.

I was called for my interview about 10.20 and the man gave me back my birth certificate and police certificate and retook my fingerprints. I then had to raise my right hand and swear all the information I had given was correct. He then asked me how long my fiance and I had been engaged and why we had waited so long for me to move out there. He then told me he'd looked through my paperwork and all was fine so he wouldn't waste my time and to take my pink slip to the courier and the visa would be with me in about a week.

I was in shock - I thought he'd ask me much more and would like to see the proof of relationship things I'd got but that was it! I then joined the queue for the courier, paid the £14 fee and left all happy that this part of the process was over!

Text just about everyone I knew to tell them the good news and went on my way!

Not sure if I just had a nice person interview me or if they all go that smoothly but my worry had been all for nothing!

I'm due to fly out on March 6 and get married June 1. Good luck to everyone else going through this!

Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great start to the New Year!

Originally Posted by NicciT
I'm due to fly out on March 6 and get married June 1. Good luck to everyone else going through this!
Congratulations! Wow, you're really waiting until the end of the 90 days to get married.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:26 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations! Wow, you're really waiting until the end of the 90 days to get married.

Rene
Thats what I thought! Congrats though! March is a pretty time of year here!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Nicci, great to hear it all went so smoothly. I think I'm next up on Friday!! I'm travelling over tomorrow evening, just hoping that the bad weather doesn't scupper the travel too much.

Tonight is my night to get all my file together and ensure I have the copies of copies of copies etc.

You must be relieved and excited all at the same time!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

So I just got my K1 visa approved yesterday YAY
Congratulations!!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Congratulations Nicci, great to hear it all went so smoothly. I think I'm next up on Friday!! I'm travelling over tomorrow evening, just hoping that the bad weather doesn't scupper the travel too much.

Tonight is my night to get all my file together and ensure I have the copies of copies of copies etc.

You must be relieved and excited all at the same time!!
Hi Mandy,

Is your interview this Friday? Wow that's come around quick!! Hopefully the weather won't cause too much of a problem although it probably would be good to leave more time for the journey.

I wish you all the best with it
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, NicciT! Happy Travels, and we'll see you here soon!

PS: as Rene says, you're leaving it right to the end. Things to think about:
If you do not apply for your Social Security Number under your K-1 status in the first 76 days from admission, you'll have to wait for your EAD or Green Card. It's OK to have your SSA record in your maiden name.

While there is no written deadline for filing your AOS after marriage, you can not become a PR until you do, you will not be employment eligible and you should not travel out of the US. You can prepare your AOS documents in advance and file as soon as you have your recorded marriage certificate.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi Mandy,

Is your interview this Friday? Wow that's come around quick!! Hopefully the weather won't cause too much of a problem although it probably would be good to leave more time for the journey.

I wish you all the best with it
Yep this Friday. I'm heading over tomorrow night to stay with a friend. Hoping travel is working even if delayed etc! Oh and long post from me just about to hit the screen lol!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Congrats NicciT, I know just how great it feels to get the yes and be on your way to America. Im currently filling in the AOS paperwork having got happily married at the end of December
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on a smooth process. Just the thought of London still gives me chills thinking about my interview so glad all went well for you.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

Thanks guys for the heads up re the AOS I'll get on that right away. I'm not planning to work for the three months before we marry as I think my time will be taken up with wedding plans and we were advised that although we could apply for a work permit for me we'd have to redo this when i was married. I know I can't leve the states for 2 years after the wedding so the honeymoon is a bit up in the air - currently looking at cali as a possibility. We're waiting the full three months for a few reasons, one becasue we want a june/summer wedding as we both have birthdays within a week of xmas and also because the longest time we've lived with each other has been 3 weeks so we want to know that we'll def be ok (no major doubts just being over cautious.

I'll look into the SS stuff as that confused me from day 1 but as Will is in the Navy they told us that as soon as i'm in the us they can help with everything - even getting me a job.

thanks again for all the help xx
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know I can't leve the states for 2 years after the wedding...
What? Ridiculous. You can travel outside the US as soon as you have Advance Parole - filed along with your other AOS paperwork.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not planning to work for the three months before we marry...
That's good, since you won't have permission to work anyway.

...advised that although we could apply for a work permit for me we'd have to redo this when i was married.
You COULD apply for the EAD based on your K-1 status right after you arrive, but you'd end up getting the EAD right about the time you want to get married, and then have to file for a new one anyway along with you AOS, so I agree it's not worth it to do that.

I know I can't leve the states for 2 years after the wedding...
Not sure where you heard that, but it's not true. Along with your AOS, you can apply for AP, which gives you the right to travel while waiting for your AOS to be adjudicated. It takes about 30 - 60 days to get your AP in hand. Even if you don't apply for AP, you can travel once you have your green card in hand, and it does not take 2 years to get that anymore.

I'll look into the SS stuff as that confused me from day 1 but as Will is in the Navy they told us that as soon as i'm in the us they can help with everything
You can apply for your SSN based on your K-1 status after you arrive, and before you get married. Wait about 10 days after your arrival, to make sure you're status is in the SS database. But if you wait until your 76th day in the USA, it's too late...after that, you'll need your EAD in hand to apply for the SS.

- even getting me a job.
Make sure you have your EAD in hand before accepting any employment.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Well we were told that the 2 year thing was until my AOS was sorted and i have a green card. I knew you could get advanced parole but isn't that just for emergencies? I saw that its $300 so do i need that everytime i leave or is it just a one off fee? Re the SS I'll look into the paperwork for that now and then i can get it filed asap as after 3 months of no job i know i'll be wanting employment and if i have my SS sorted then i only need my EAD
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:32 am

Well we were told that the 2 year thing was until my AOS was sorted and i have a green card. I knew you could get advanced parole but isn't that just for emergencies? I saw that its $300 so do i need that everytime i leave or is it just a one off fee? Re the SS I'll look into the paperwork for that now and then i can get it filed asap as after 3 months of no job i know i'll be wanting employment and if i have my SS sorted then i only need my EAD
I think you might be confusing your 2-year conditional status with something else.

It doesn't take 2 years to get your green card in hand unless you run into really bad glitches. It is typically taking around 6 months to get your green card in hand.

When you receive your green card, it will be valid for 2 years (you will have conditional permanent resident status), because your marriage is less than 2 years old at the time your AOS is approved. That means 2 years after you receive your green card, you will have to file form I-751 to remove the conditions, and then you'll get a green card valid for 10 years. I think this is what was throwing you off with the 2-year thing.

The AP, when filed along with your AOS is not $300. The $1,010 fee for AOS covers all the necessary forms and fees for your AOS, including I-485, I-131, and I-765.

You apply for AP along with AOS (no extra fee), and check the box for multiple entry. The AP is valid for 1 year, multiple entries. You should have your green card in hand before your AP expires, but if you don't, you can get another AP document.

The AP is not just for emergencies, it's for any travel you want to do outside the USA, for any reason.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.