Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Govt relies on Facebook "narcissism" to spot fake marriages, fraud

Wikiposts

Govt relies on Facebook "narcissism" to spot fake marriages, fraud

Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Govt relies on Facebook "narcissism" to spot fake marriages, fraud

Long suspected on this board....but previously without any proof.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...k-on-users.ars
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

brnie80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Govt relies on Facebook "narcissism" to spot fake marriages, fraud

Wow! Some time after my seperation, some hot looking random girls have tried to add me on facebook. I never added them because it did not look real to me. I wonder who that was!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If they are going to the trouble of doing that, they must be having a butchers at forums like this as well.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:01 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If they are going to the trouble of doing that, they must be having a butchers at forums like this as well.
Would be a logical assumption.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Way back in 2000 when DH and I went to his AOS Interview, we spoke with our adjudicating officer about the marriage-based visa forum and actually gave her the URL for it. She was very interested and promised to look at the site and also to pass on the information.

The forums several years back also had a supposed former adjudicating officer who was for hire to assist people with their immigration forms, etc. and he was familiar with this site and also said INS back then was strolling the web.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:30 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

We know that immigration staff from Oz look at B.E.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Way back in 2000 when DH and I went to his AOS Interview, we spoke with our adjudicating officer about the marriage-based visa forum and actually gave her the URL for it. She was very interested and promised to look at the site and also to pass on the information.

The forums several years back also had a supposed former adjudicating officer who was for hire to assist people with their immigration forms, etc. and he was familiar with this site and also said INS back then was strolling the web.
I seem to recall a marriage fraud conviction which was discovered by DHS when they trolled craigslist.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a sound Idea for them to monitor any and all activities on the net....To be bluntly and butally honest, when I first joined this forum, it was for assistance in different areas that I had no clue on and still dont, but for another day...

My point is in the last few months I have seen a few relationships go to the wall for one reason or another and in my own mind it has to make you wonder....Really?

Dont want to open a can of worms or spark a debate on how it should work or why cant they do this.....but when you have a long distance relationship such as ours some more distance than others it becomes out of thier reach to do a regular trip, but thats not always a bad thing, but it has been mentioned before and the poster was told why etc, ok, but USICS make it hard to visit even after a refusal at entry, not that I have yet, but , once that is done there is no VWP or slight chance to obtain a tourist visa stating the real reasons you want to visit and more than likely be turned down or worse.

So fraudualnt marriges may not be their issue they need to concentrate on, we believe at the time the person we fell in love was for life, you get there and find otherwise....some of us just know they are the right one.

This is just how I see things and does not reflect others views, but could if they are like minded
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:49 am
Kind Help Plz. Not Linx.

clemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really nice

It doesn't bother me. I personally only invite real people. That said, there's nothing to hide. We're the most annoyingly ooey gooey romantic couple on Earth, it would only make the viewers groan at how in love we are. lol
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I'm a Facebook curmudgeon. I only add people I know from real life. If you are a friend of a friend, but I don't know you, sorry I'm not friending you. I only have 55 friends/family and that's all I need.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, looks like Frank Drebin has been re-assigned to FDNS?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Long suspected on this board....but previously without any proof.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...k-on-users.ars