Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got visa, next step? (EAD questions)

Wikiposts

Got visa, next step? (EAD questions)

Old May 18th 2004, 7:45 am
Dazed and Confused

KatherineH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got visa, next step? (EAD questions)

So we got the visa and Rich is planning to move here in July. I am trying to better understand the EAD process. As I said in my post about the interview, the interviewer told us that we will have to apply for Rich's 90 day EAD when he gets here, he won't get a stamp for it.

I'm looking at the USCIS website and as I understand it, this means we have to pay $175 and mail the I-765 to Nebraska which is currently processing I-765s from February and March of 2004, which does not make getting a 90 day permit within 90 days seem likely. And then after the wedding we would pay another $175 and file for the one year work permit at the "Service Center with jurisdiction over your residence or Local Office - depending on where your case is pending." according to the I-765 page on the USCIS website.

Is it worth spending $175 for an application that likely won't be approved in the time needed? Am I missing some piece of the puzzle that would make it all make sense? I had imagined that he would either get the stamp by flying through JFK or that we would go to the local office and get a stamp there relatively instantly.

Also, if he does manage to get the 90 day work permit before the wedding, does it expire instantly when we get married or does it carry out through the full 90 days? Is he allowed to work in the time between the expiration of the 90 day and the issuance of the 1 year?

I know it's a lot of questions but it will help us make a decision about when he moves over. We're hoping for him to come in early July but if it's unlikely he'll be able to work until after the wedding, that may not be affordable.

Thanks!
-Katherine
Old May 18th 2004, 8:01 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got visa, next step? (EAD questions)

Originally posted by KatherineH
So we got the visa and Rich is planning to move here in July. I am trying to better understand the EAD process. As I said in my post about the interview, the interviewer told us that we will have to apply for Rich's 90 day EAD when he gets here, he won't get a stamp for it.

I'm looking at the USCIS website and as I understand it, this means we have to pay $175 and mail the I-765 to Nebraska which is currently processing I-765s from February and March of 2004, which does not make getting a 90 day permit within 90 days seem likely. And then after the wedding we would pay another $175 and file for the one year work permit at the "Service Center with jurisdiction over your residence or Local Office - depending on where your case is pending." according to the I-765 page on the USCIS website.

Is it worth spending $175 for an application that likely won't be approved in the time needed? Am I missing some piece of the puzzle that would make it all make sense? I had imagined that he would either get the stamp by flying through JFK or that we would go to the local office and get a stamp there relatively instantly.

Also, if he does manage to get the 90 day work permit before the wedding, does it expire instantly when we get married or does it carry out through the full 90 days? Is he allowed to work in the time between the expiration of the 90 day and the issuance of the 1 year?

I know it's a lot of questions but it will help us make a decision about when he moves over. We're hoping for him to come in early July but if it's unlikely he'll be able to work until after the wedding, that may not be affordable.

Thanks!
-Katherine
The 90 day temp work stamp has no fee attached to it. They are still giving out the stamp for K1's at JFK as far as I'm aware, so if you really wanted it, it's worth flying out of your way a little to at least stand a chance of getting it, trust me!!

Kate. xxxx
Old May 18th 2004, 8:15 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by KatherineH

Thanks!
-Katherine
Hey there Katherine

The process is as it follows..
You file the EAD at NSC, if your have not received a decission within 90 days of the NOA1 of a properly filed (means No RFE's) EAD application, you can go to your local USCIS office and request an interim EAD.
The validy of the Interim EAD varies from office to office
I have been told that before your Interim EAD expires you get the year one in the mail
Hope that helps!!
Old May 18th 2004, 9:52 am
Exile

"katesuiter1" wrote:
    > The 90 day temp work stamp has no fee
    > attached to it. They are still giving out the stamp for K1's at JFK as
    > far as I'm aware, so if you really wanted it, it's worth flying out of
    > your way a little to at least stand a chance of getting it, trust me!!
    >
    > Kate. xxxx

But it expires the moment you're married right?

I'm keen to know if - for argument's sake - we get married the day I arrive,
how long should we expect to have to wait until I can legally earn money in
the country?

Thanks,

Andy