Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got Stamp Yesterday !!!

Wikiposts

Got Stamp Yesterday !!!

Old May 17th 2001, 1:04 pm
TheCouple2113586

Well well well, I got my stamp yesterday and I feel good. The stamo says "Processed
for I-551 temporary Evidence of Lawful Admission For Permanent Residence until
5-15-02. Employment Authorized. Now is this stamp enough to travel with. Is that all
I need to travel?? And is it the equivalent of the permanent greencard? at the time
of our interview I had been married for over 2 years, so I assume that it is. Thanks
guys for yuo advice and god bless!!!

Old May 17th 2001, 1:20 pm
Daisy

YEP and congratulations!!

Daisy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 17th 2001, 1:23 pm
ike

Yes that stamp is as good as a Green Card until 5-15-02. You can travel like you are
a Green Card holder. Congratulations!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 17th 2001, 3:41 pm
aosus

Yes you can travel. I also got my stamp a little over a week ago. I crossed the
border (Laredo,Texas). BUT... on my way back to the US (I crossed walking), I showed
my passport to the Officer, he saw the stamp, and gave me an orange paper where he
checked the Status option and wrote "Looks Fake" on the comments section, and asked
me to go into the office to get inspected. So my husband and I went in there, this
2nd officer saw the passport and the stamp (he had some snobbish attitude). Asked me
when did we get married and when did I immigrate to the US. Then went to the computer
and checked the info, then asked my husband his last name. Right after that the
officer returned me the passport and destroyed the orange paper.

My husband asked him why they thought the stamp looked fake. The officer answered
that the stamps are not standardized, and they do vary from INS office to office, and
they haven't seen a Hawaiian stamp before (...mmmmhhh). He also mentioned that in the
past months they have seen a lot of fake stamps with spelling errors and they have
been more careful when they see this temporary stamps. He also mentioned that this
stamp is only good for the 18 months, and I should get my card in the mail soon (I
knew this already)

Anyway.. after all I crossed the border with no further problems. Just wanted to post
my experience regarding the temporary stamp.

Good luck

>
says
    >
Permanent
    >
    >
travel??
    >
our
    >
is.