Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got my Visa! What should I expect now?

Got my Visa! What should I expect now?

Old Jun 24th 2013, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Brad0088 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got my Visa! What should I expect now?

So I got my passport back through the post the other day with my visa issued! Seems like its the end of a long journey however it only took 4 months from start to finish.

Anyway Just wondering what I should expect at border control in the states when I enter. I know I have to give in my unopened envelope and fill in a I -551 form to apply for my Green card. I have been looking into what I need to apply for my Social Security number and it says I need this form for proof of my right to work and live in the US. Will I take this form with me and use it as proof until my Green card is issued?

Also If there is anyone else who has already been through this your advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 7:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my Visa! What should I expect now?

Originally Posted by Brad0088
So I got my passport back through the post the other day with my visa issued! Seems like its the end of a long journey however it only took 4 months from start to finish.
Congratulations! I assume you did an Immigrant Visa, with the I-130 filed directly to London.

...and fill in a I -551 form to apply for my Green card.
No, not quite. You don't have to fill an an I-551 form. What happens is that the POE officer will endorse your immigrant visa which then becomes a temporary I-551 (green card) for 1 year, while you're wating for the plastic green card to come in the mail. You can travel abroad on the I-551 in your passport, the same way you can with the plastic green card.

I have been looking into what I need to apply for my Social Security number and it says I need this form for proof of my right to work and live in the US. Will I take this form with me and use it as proof until my Green card is issued?
It's not a "form", it's your endorsed immigrant visa inside your passport.

That said, if you checked the box on the DS-230 indicating that you want a SSN assigned to you, you should wait a few weeks to see if it shows up in the mail. If you checked that box, you aren't supposed to need to apply in person for the SSN. Sometimes that gets overlooked, though, so give it a month or so, and if you don't get your SS card in the mail, then go ahead and apply in person.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Not sure if new visa recipients are aware of this
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wolfy

Yeah I am aware of this. Paid it online the other day.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations! I assume you did an Immigrant Visa, with the I-130 filed directly to London.

No, not quite. You don't have to fill an an I-551 form. What happens is that the POE officer will endorse your immigrant visa which then becomes a temporary I-551 (green card) for 1 year, while you're wating for the plastic green card to come in the mail. You can travel abroad on the I-551 in your passport, the same way you can with the plastic green card.

It's not a "form", it's your endorsed immigrant visa inside your passport.

That said, if you checked the box on the DS-230 indicating that you want a SSN assigned to you, you should wait a few weeks to see if it shows up in the mail. If you checked that box, you aren't supposed to need to apply in person for the SSN. Sometimes that gets overlooked, though, so give it a month or so, and if you don't get your SS card in the mail, then go ahead and apply in person.

Rene
In regards to waiting for the social security number I was hoping to start applying for jobs immediately and setting up a bank account, getting a drivers license all of which I need my SSN for. What will happen if I apply when one is already assigned to me?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to waiting for the social security number I was hoping to start applying for jobs immediately and setting up a bank account, getting a drivers license all of which I need my SSN for. What will happen if I apply when one is already assigned to me?
You don't need a SSN to apply for jobs or open a bank account. You can drive on your foreign license until you qualify for a new state one.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't need a SSN to apply for jobs or open a bank account. You can drive on your foreign license until you qualify for a new state one.

Rene
If you apply for a SSN while an application is already in their system, you risk getting assigned two numbers, then you have to get SSA to consolidate them back into one number.

If you decide to apply in person, wait about 10 days after entry to the USA, to allow your info to get into the SAVE system that SSA uses to verify your status.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

ahh ok thanks for the info. It's just all the bank companies I have looked at say they need to see a SSN to sign up and all job applications require a SSN. Dont your employers use your SSN to work out your taxes through the IRS when you start earning?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:59 pm

ahh ok thanks for the info. It's just all the bank companies I have looked at say they need to see a SSN to sign up and all job applications require a SSN. Dont your employers use your SSN to work out your taxes through the IRS when you start earning?
An employer can hire you without a SSN. You can provide the number when you know it. It won't be a problem.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You only need a social security number if it is an interest bearing account. So I'd recommend initially opening a checking account and when you get your social security number, then transfer money to an interest bearing account.

As far as jobs, they assign a fake social security number (usually 000-00-0004) and the system holds back paying taxes until you provide them with a real social security number. A small company my not know that can be done but it is the proper and legal way to do it.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy

The package received fromt he embassy includes a form with all the details
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
You only need a social security number if it is an interest bearing account. So I'd recommend initially opening a checking account and when you get your social security number, then transfer money to an interest bearing account.

As far as jobs, they assign a fake social security number (usually 000-00-0004) and the system holds back paying taxes until you provide them with a real social security number. A small company my not know that can be done but it is the proper and legal way to do it.
Ok so the only thing I will need to satisfy an employer to prove my right to work is my Visa in my passport? Because thats the only thing I have to prove my residency until I get my SSN and Green Card.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:19 pm

Ok so the only thing I will need to satisfy an employer to prove my right to work is my Visa in my passport? Because thats the only thing I have to prove my residency until I get my SSN and Green Card.
Correct. The visa in your passport with that I-551 endorsement is all the employer needs to see up front.

That I-551 endorsement IS your "green card"; it's proof of your PR status, just like a plastic green card is.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

While you can certainly take employment based on the endorsed visa, the reality (depending on the employer) is that they may not realise it allows you to do so without seeing something they are familiar with (ie your green card)

So be prepared for that.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
While you can certainly take employment based on the endorsed visa, the reality (depending on the employer) is that they may not realise it allows you to do so without seeing something they are familiar with (ie your green card)

So be prepared for that.
The OP could bring in an I-9 form, which shows the list of acceptable hiring documents.

It's Item #3 on Page 9 of the I-9:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.