British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Got my CR1 visa and moving to the US - one-way flight OK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/got-my-cr1-visa-moving-us-one-way-flight-ok-938824/)

Squirrel123 May 27th 2021 1:30 pm

Got my CR1 visa and moving to the US - one-way flight OK?

So I've got my CR1 visa and I'm getting there with my preparations to move to the States at the end of June, and finally join my husband in California after 18 months apart. However, it suddenly occurred to me that the one-way flight I purchased for myself might be an issue with immigration. The United Airlines website, which doesn't have a facility for me to tell them I have a CR1 visa, simply tells me that I will be expected to have a return ticket. I expect I am worrying for no reason (and there really is no reason I can see why immigration at SFO would decline my CR1) but I wonder if it will cause problems checking in at LHR, or somewhere along the way, if I do NOT have a return flight, even though I am moving permanently and have all the correct documentation. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd be very grateful to hear it and put my mind at rest!

ivanidea May 27th 2021 2:04 pm

Re: Got my CR1 visa and moving to the US - one-way flight OK?

Congratulations on making it through the process in these difficult times.

Assuming you have the I-551 stamp in your passport, then you will be entering the USA as an immigrant with the right to stay as a permanent resident. You will be sent to the back room for further processing (hand over the paperwork) but this is just a formality.

I had no problem back in 2017.

I recall reading that it may be cheaper to buy a return ticket though, but that will depend on airline pricing policies. I used airmiles so was not subject to that.

Noorah101 May 27th 2021 2:27 pm

One way ticket is fine.

Rene

BenK91 May 27th 2021 3:10 pm

One way ticket is absolutely fine, you may find a return flight is cheaper though, that's how I entered the US and I just cancelled my returning flight.

SFNative May 28th 2021 2:13 am

We ended up buying return flights because it was £5000 more for all of us for one-way flights. We timed the return leg for Christmas time because we figured that would be a good time to go back to visit grandparents anyway.

Then Covid happened and they cancelled it! And gave us a refund. Ha.

Squirrel123 Jun 3rd 2021 2:29 pm

A belated thank you to all for assuaging my fears! I managed to get a one-way ticket back in April (United, surprisingly inexpensive at £400 including one piece of checked luggage!) Now to sort out my Covid test so it's taken within 72 hours AND gets back to me in time with the negative result... :fingerscrossed:

tom169 Jun 6th 2021 1:46 am

One way is fine. I cashed in my points from the back and forth flying of a long distance relationship and purchased a one way ticket.

excpomea Jun 10th 2021 4:03 pm

As mentioned, a return is the way to go.
We do this all the time for transatlantic cruises.

I have no idea how they justify the one way prices.