Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

got k-3, now work, driver's license, ss#???

Wikiposts

got k-3, now work, driver's license, ss#???

Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

rainbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default got k-3, now work, driver's license, ss#???

Hi,
My husband is coming over on a k-3. I'm reading up on the process of getting a SS#, driver's license and being able to work but thought someone here could help me out. In what order does he have to get these things and what is the procedure. I've been soley focused on getting him over here and just now have no clue how to go about doing the rest.
Any advice would be helpful.
-rainbow
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough
Default Re: got k-3, now work, driver's license, ss#???

Originally posted by rainbow
Hi,
My husband is coming over on a k-3. I'm reading up on the process of getting a SS#, driver's license and being able to work but thought someone here could help me out. In what order does he have to get these things and what is the procedure. I've been soley focused on getting him over here and just now have no clue how to go about doing the rest.
-rainbow
I went the K-1 route with my now husband but from what I'ver read from other posters I think the first thing you have to do is apply for your EAD and then once you have that you can get your SSN. I would check your state's driver and motor vehicle website because since state law determines driver regulations and licensing each state is different as far as what they require to obtain a driver's license. Hope this helps. Best of luck!!!

MarDae
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:25 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
-rainbow

Hey there!!

In order for your husband to get a SS# he has to have the EAD in hand first, as for the driving license I believe he can get it by showing his visa, that is why I did when I was here holding a J1 visa, it varies from state to state, so you might want to give DMV a call and ask them what are the requirements to get a driving license.
Where do you live?

Take care!!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both for the info....I reserach getting an EAD for him.

I live in Massachusetts so I'll look up the RMV website.

Thanks again,

-rainbow
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

In Louisiana they require the EAD or a NOA from your EAD application. This has been a frustration for us as CIS cashed the check and has not sent a NOA. They have 30 day to do so. Sigh.

Hi,
-rainbow

Last edited by lpdiver; Mar 15th 2004 at 9:07 am.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

cutenurse300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
-rainbow
Hi there,

I just moved over to MA also,came here on my K1 visa a few days ago.Bought my own car today and went to the RMV about my driver license.They told me that i would have up to a year to get a new driver license here in MA.Will go for the SSN the next days.Good luck also!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Cutenurse (ha I'm cracking up writing that),

Did the RMV say you could drive w/out a license for up to a year or no? I read the website and looks like everyone needs a SS# to get a license but then says you can show a k-3 visa and might be able to do it with just that? It's confusing to me.

I'm gonna try to get a SS# for him before the EAD....might be able to I think.

-rainbow
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

-rainbow
If cute nurse is driving for one year it's probably on an international drivers license. So you still need a license to drive. You can try to get a SS# before the EAD but if your husband is K-3 from everything I've read here you're not going to be able to get one. K-3 is not work authorized based on status as is the K-1. If you aren't work authorized and there isn't a reason that you have to have a SSN they won't issue one. They do issue SSNs that say not authorized for work but you need to have a reason to justify being issued one. They'll probably want to see the EAD at the RMV for the license anyways (I briefly looked at their website). I would apply for the EAD asap. The rest will fall into place in time. If you are filing taxes this year jointly you can request an ITN for your husband when you file. That number is purely for IRS taxation purposes.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

MarDae
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

In louisiana they will accept a NOA from your ead application and they also want that I-94. ( We stapled the I-94 in the passport to keep track of it)

Originally posted by MarDae
If cute nurse is driving for one year it's probably on an international drivers license. So you still need a license to drive. You can try to get a SS# before the EAD but if your husband is K-3 from everything I've read here you're not going to be able to get one. K-3 is not work authorized based on status as is the K-1. If you aren't work authorized and there isn't a reason that you have to have a SSN they won't issue one. They do issue SSNs that say not authorized for work but you need to have a reason to justify being issued one. They'll probably want to see the EAD at the RMV for the license anyways (I briefly looked at their website). I would apply for the EAD asap. The rest will fall into place in time. If you are filing taxes this year jointly you can request an ITN for your husband when you file. That number is purely for IRS taxation purposes.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

MarDae
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. We will definitely do the EAD right away. Crazy that he has to wait until he gets it to drive tho?
Always wondered how that works when people travel to foreign lands.....should've told him to get an international license before he came over. He's actually flying in tonight! Can't wait!!!!!
Thanks for all the advice.....will celebrate the next few days and then jump the hurdles later this week.
Happy St. Patty's Day to everyone

K-3 TIMELINE:

Married May 2003

06/24/03 mail I-130 to VSC
06/30/03 NOA1 I-130
08/01/03 mail I-129F to VSC
08/07/03 NOA1 I-129F
11/13/03 NOA2 I-129F (after 98 day wait)
11/19/03 NVC receives I-129F
11/24/03 NVC mails I-129F to London
12/03/03 P3 arrives
12/12/03 Submit P3 and fingerprinted in London
01/14/04 Interview letter arrives
03/11/04 K-3 VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!
03/16/04 Pick-up visa and fly over to US!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rainbow; Mar 16th 2004 at 8:03 am.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:55 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cutenurse (ha I'm cracking up writing that),

Did the RMV say you could drive w/out a license for up to a year or no? I read the website and looks like everyone needs a SS# to get a license but then says you can show a k-3 visa and might be able to do it with just that? It's confusing to me.

-rainbow

When I got my driving license here in Colorado, all I need was my then valid J1
Keep us updated, I am all intrigued now!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:56 am

Thanks. We will definitely do the EAD right away. Crazy that he has to wait until he gets it to drive tho?
Always wondered how that works when people travel to foreign lands.....should've told him to get an international license before he came over. He's actually flying in tonight! Can't wait!!!!!
Thanks for all the advice.....will celebrate the next few days and then jump the hurdles later this week.
Happy St. Patty's Day to everyone

Woo!! ENJOY!!!
I am all excited too.. aww darn ice tea
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:59 pm
Squire

In article <[email protected]>, rainbow <member19914@
british_expats.com> writes
    >Thanks. We will definitely do the EAD right away. Crazy that he has to
    >wait until he gets it to drive tho?
    >Always wondered how that works
    >when people travel to foreign lands.....should've told him to get an
    >international license before he came over.

What use would be an International Drivers License (also known as Permit
in many countries) in your circumstances? After all, its merely a
translation of the foreign country's license and has to be used in
conjunction with that license. It isn't a substitute.

--
squire
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

I figured if he had an international driver's license he'd be okay to drive my car here in the US until he got a Mass license. I don't really know....

Anyhow,,,here's an update. I called the Registry of Motor Vehicles and was told that until he claims residency here in the US, he can drive on his Irish license for up to a year. Once he claims residency he'll have to get a license. I think since he has the k-3 he's claiming residency? Not too sure if it's when we get the actual green card or what but....

Called the social security administration office and was told he needed the EAD before getting a ss# but he could indeed get a driver's license by going to the SS office and asking them for a denial note (saying not eligible yet for a ss# as he is waiting on the EAD) and then showing that to the RMV. They said that would work....not sure wether it does or not yet...will find out later today.

Try to do things the right way and it's so damn confusing....reh!!