Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got 6 month tourist visa - questions regarding marriage itself ??? :-)

Got 6 month tourist visa - questions regarding marriage itself ??? :-)

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 4:31 pm
Richard

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you could help me.

I am from England and came into the US on a 6 month torist visa 3 months ago.

My girlfriend and I plan to get married soon and we are just trying to come our plan
of action for the adjustment process

We live in Mass, if anybody has any experience in this particular state?

I know about the forms I need to file and have no specific questions on those now.

The biggest question I have at the moment is, how do we go about the marriage
process itself?

What do we need to do in order to get married in the first instance before we begin
to file all the necessary forms?

Also, do you recommend an attorney?

Since I came into the US purely as a tourist, how would you recommend we show
ourselves to the INS?

I would be very grateful if any of you could give us some help or advice regarding
these questions or the overall process itself...

Many Thanks

R

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 7:29 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Richard wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
You are lucky to have a very user-friendly INS office. If you file your adjustment of
status in person there, I *think* you will get a work authorization card the same day
you file. See experiences of others at the Boston office here:
http://www.kamya.com/aos/ (note that there is an "I-130" section, that is where you
should look)

>
    >
    >
See this page, it appears to be pretty official:
http://www.state.ma.us/sec/cis/cismrg/mrgidx.htm

>
    >
Only if you have a previous criminal record in your home country, a significant
health problem which might keep you from working, some other complicating factor, or
you aren't good at filling in forms. Some people want an attorney. If your case is
simple and uncomplicated, there is no need unless you want one. The choice is yours.

>
    >
    >
I don't quite understand that. After you marry, just fill out the AOS forms, get
the money, pictures, and go down there to Boston INS in person and file. As soon
as you get the work authorization card (same day hopefully), go to the Social
security office and get a SS card (will take 1-2 weeks, comes in the mail). After
that, you can work.

Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 8:02 pm
Onigiri

>
<<snip>>
[usenetquote2]> > Since I came into the US purely as a tourist, how would you recommend we show[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ourselves to the INS?[/usenetquote2]
While attempting the transition to being an immigrant, stop all activities that you
do as a tourist. Search the words "tourist", "boston" with the boolean "and" and make
sure you avoid whatever that comes up in that search. Get rid of that camera. Burn
all those photos you have taken so far. And all those foreign clothes. K-mart is
having a going out of business sales; get yourself over there, watch for the rotating
blue light and buy whatever that is under that blue light. There are blue lights all
over that store now. If you do not like these styles, drive to L.L.Bean in Maine (
Freeport, just north of Portland is not too far from Boston) and get yourself
thoroughly outfitted. If you show yourselves in those outfits, your Adjustment to
Immigrant status will be a cinch.

>
forms, get
    >
As soon
    >
Social
    >
mail).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
provide
    >
If
    >

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

MarkW is an unknown quantity at this point

Richard walked right into that one.
Old Feb 3rd 2002, 9:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Our friends did that in Boston in 2000. Walked out of the Boston INS the same day with an employment authorization document, and appointments for fingerprinting and an AOS interview in 6 months. Super fast and user friendly INS office.

You will need the I-485, I-130, I-765, medical, certified marriage certificate, wife's proof of citizenship, and an affidavit of support from her on I-864 and three years of tax returns showing 125% of the poverty guideline for a family your size.

Check out:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Rita

Old Feb 4th 2002, 2:58 pm
Richard

Many thanks for all your replies - you really are helping a lot.

Ok a little more detail on what I meant by presenting ourselves to the INS.

I came into the country as a tourist.

I am worried about the questions the INS will ask me when I come to be interviewed -
what they will ask on the forms I need to fill out.

Despite the fact that I came into the country as a tourist - I was coming to stay
with my girlfriend and we were in a relationship for some time prior to my visit.

Should the INS know this or should I tell them that we only started to fall in love
after I had been here a few months.

Just worried...

Many thanks

R

Old Feb 4th 2002, 3:21 pm
Okonami Yaki

Rete <[email protected]>
    >
Thank you for such a fine testimonial for the outfits I recommended for the new
immigrant to show themselves to the INS for the first time.
http://www.llbean.com/shop/factorySt...x.html?feat=ln I would like to add that
Landsend in the midwest (Wisconsin) does an equally good job for immigrants' debut to
INS: http://www.landsend.com/cd/frontdoor/
    >
Both landsend and L.L.Bean have online catalogues to order from. The casual outfits
with sports jackets of the season go well for AoS interviews.

>
and the above sites as well. And remember that silk underwears are great not only on
those Siberian Bride hunting trips -- they are good for those immigration medical
exams where you need to "drop 'em" and show.

onigiri

Old Feb 4th 2002, 4:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Richard

You are worrying for nothing really. The questions they will ask you will not be about your entry into the US unless it is balantly apparent that you entered fraudulently for the express purpose of marriage.

What INS looks to see and wants to hear is the validity of your marriage. You will need to show them paper proof that you are living together as husband and wife. This could be in the form of mail addressed to both of you at the same address. Beneficiaries on your life insurance, 401K, etc. Perhaps you will both share the same car insurance policy or be co-borrower's on a new car or a house. Perhaps both names will be on the lease. Joint checking accounts, savings accounts, mutual fund portofilos. Show them a photo of the actual wedding; your honeymoon; holiday celebration with you both and family and friends, etc.

Believe me the interview is over before you know what has happened. From years of reading here on the NG about AOS interviews, I would have to say that the average time is 10 minutes. They might ask you or her for the other's birthday, mother or father's names, place of birth. Nothing that you wouldn't know normally.

Read some of the interview experiences themselves and you will see that I'm not being overly optimistic but truthful.

Rita