Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen!

Wikiposts

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen!

Old Sep 18th 2017, 12:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen!

Hello all – this will be my last post on BE.

Sheila and I met online in 1997. It’s so commonplace now that no one gives a second thought to it... but in those days, it was still pretty new – and it turned more than one head when it was mentioned.

In those days everything was done by mail and phone. You had to call the INS (there was no USCIS then), and request the specific forms you needed (and hoped you got the right form numbers)... and they mailed them to you! Too bad if you made mistakes on the forms because there was no way to properly correct the carbon copies! You’d have to call and request another form. You couldn’t email the INS, and none of the forms existed online... and it would be another 10 years before fillable PDFs came on the scene! In those days there were no email updates, no help line, and no way to find out what was going on. You sent in your forms and you waited for a response.

If you wanted information, BritishExpats wasn’t the place to go – because it didn’t yet exist! For info, you either had to call the INS and hope they’d answer the phone, or you got online (dial up!) and checked out one of two Usenet newsgroups: alt.visa.us and/or misc.immigration.us. Both had useful information... but there wasn’t much of it because there were very few people who had been through the process at that time, so there were no real mentors. We actually had to figure out stuff on our own!

Rete and I helped to form the splinter newsgroup alt.visa.us.marriage-based. That newsgroup (and one or two others) was eventually ported to BritishExpats and is now the marriage-based forum that you’re currently reading. A few years later, the Usenet feed was cut... and this forum took on a life of its own. Occasionally, I still think of user Retire to Italy.

And then there was September 11, 2001 – and things changed.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was formed; the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) was disbanded and reformed as BCIS (Bureau for Citizenship and Immigration Services) and then shortly after that, BCIS was reformed... and USCIS was created. And so it has remained.

For those who had already applied for a visa, the wait times got longer. For those who hadn’t yet applied, the process became more involved... and wait times got longer. All of it revolved around new security checks that were put in place. Airport security increased by several orders of magnitude... and, in general, the world became a less happy place! And so it has remained.

Now... 20 years after Sheila and I started our journey and after 15 years as a member of BE, I’ve had enough. I’ve answered enough questions; I’ve given enough advice; and I’ve had enough verbal sparring.

It now also seems that a number of my recent posts have contained incorrect information, and that’s unconscionable... more so considering that I’ve admonished others for not posting correct information. I’ll be the first to admit that my memory isn’t as sharp as it was 20 years ago but I fear that my recent gaffs are becoming more common and are now a distraction to the members here – and I do not want to do a disservice to the members. Immigration is hard enough without me muddying the waters – and I apologize for that incorrect information. Also, lately, there have been a number of life distractions that have kept my focus elsewhere.

So, to that end, I’m going to do the honorable thing and close my account.

Overall, it’s been swell folks – and I’ve enjoyed both learning and instructing. For some of you, I don’t really care if I ever hear your names again... but I will miss a number of you. You know who you are... those who have kept me amused these many years, those who helped when Sheila and I were on our journey, and those who I recently PM’d and who I consider to be part of my extended family.

As Worf said to Riker, “The honor is to serve.” Thank you for the privilege of allowing me to serve for so many years. And now... onward to new adventures.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen!

There is 'owt to say, Ian, but bon voyage. May the road rise up to greet you and may your travels be safe and awesome. I think retirement from these forums will put a new spring in your step and a smile on your face. Enjoy life with your sweet wife. You will be missed by many and one in particular, me. Thank you for being a part of the immigration forums for neigh on 20 years. We have met some great characters have we not

Bye, my friend
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine this place without you Ian! As they say, life is about service, and I know you have served this forum for many years. The number of people that you have helped surely numbers in the tens of thousands and on behalf of all of us. We thank you.

The place won't be the same without you - I hope that after a break you will miss it and want to come back, and we will accept you back with open arms.

Fair winds and following seas on behalf of myself and many of those that you have helped..
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, you were the safety net for many of us. "Don't worry, one of the forum pros should be along soon". Now that tiny group of members has grown smaller.

Best of luck,
Tom.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:41 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The forum will be the poorer for your absence, Ian. You have helped innumerable people navigate the choppy waters of immigration. Sending every good wish -- what is your new hobby going to be?!
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:47 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Take care my dear sanctimonious prick.

My you have a "clean entry" into the rest of your life.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hello all – this will be my last post on BE.

Sheila and I met online in 1997. It’s so commonplace now that no one gives a second thought to it... but in those days, it was still pretty new – and it turned more than one head when it was mentioned.

In those days everything was done by mail and phone. You had to call the INS (there was no USCIS then), and request the specific forms you needed (and hoped you got the right form numbers)... and they mailed them to you! Too bad if you made mistakes on the forms because there was no way to properly correct the carbon copies! You’d have to call and request another form. You couldn’t email the INS, and none of the forms existed online... and it would be another 10 years before fillable PDFs came on the scene! In those days there were no email updates, no help line, and no way to find out what was going on. You sent in your forms and you waited for a response.

If you wanted information, BritishExpats wasn’t the place to go – because it didn’t yet exist! For info, you either had to call the INS and hope they’d answer the phone, or you got online (dial up!) and checked out one of two Usenet newsgroups: alt.visa.us and/or misc.immigration.us. Both had useful information... but there wasn’t much of it because there were very few people who had been through the process at that time, so there were no real mentors. We actually had to figure out stuff on our own!

Rete and I helped to form the splinter newsgroup alt.visa.us.marriage-based. That newsgroup (and one or two others) was eventually ported to BritishExpats and is now the marriage-based forum that you’re currently reading. A few years later, the Usenet feed was cut... and this forum took on a life of its own. Occasionally, I still think of user Retire to Italy.

And then there was September 11, 2001 – and things changed.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was formed; the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) was disbanded and reformed as BCIS (Bureau for Citizenship and Immigration Services) and then shortly after that, BCIS was reformed... and USCIS was created. And so it has remained.

For those who had already applied for a visa, the wait times got longer. For those who hadn’t yet applied, the process became more involved... and wait times got longer. All of it revolved around new security checks that were put in place. Airport security increased by several orders of magnitude... and, in general, the world became a less happy place! And so it has remained.

Now... 20 years after Sheila and I started our journey and after 15 years as a member of BE, I’ve had enough. I’ve answered enough questions; I’ve given enough advice; and I’ve had enough verbal sparring.

It now also seems that a number of my recent posts have contained incorrect information, and that’s unconscionable... more so considering that I’ve admonished others for not posting correct information. I’ll be the first to admit that my memory isn’t as sharp as it was 20 years ago but I fear that my recent gaffs are becoming more common and are now a distraction to the members here – and I do not want to do a disservice to the members. Immigration is hard enough without me muddying the waters – and I apologize for that incorrect information. Also, lately, there have been a number of life distractions that have kept my focus elsewhere.

So, to that end, I’m going to do the honorable thing and close my account.

Overall, it’s been swell folks – and I’ve enjoyed both learning and instructing. For some of you, I don’t really care if I ever hear your names again... but I will miss a number of you. You know who you are... those who have kept me amused these many years, those who helped when Sheila and I were on our journey, and those who I recently PM’d and who I consider to be part of my extended family.

As Worf said to Riker, “The honor is to serve.” Thank you for the privilege of allowing me to serve for so many years. And now... onward to new adventures.

Ian

I respect your decision, but, but - there is life after immigration advice!

Wish you could/would stay. There is always room for a sanctimonious prick.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:04 am
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

You've been a great help to me in my limited time on this forum Ian, all the best.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Others, above, have said it better than I can, but suffice to say, you have helped so many, and you will be sorely missed.

I will miss your posts and your humour, but I respect your decision. All the very best wishes for your future beyond BE.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 18th 2017 at 4:05 am.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you are giving up Ian, the US immigration forum will be the worse for your absence.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:19 am
Just Joined

MariaKW is an unknown quantity at this point

My name is not one you will recognize but your posts have been of great help to me. All the best and thank you.
Maria
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:53 am
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Your comments on threads both old and new have been a great help to my visa process, so thank you very much for that.

I imagine there are thousands more out there who have reached their immigration goals thanks in part to advice you've given!

Wish you the best of luck, thanks again.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing something of your history. My goodness it gives some perspective; how different things were. And what service you have given.

I believe the forums will be a poorer place without you but your retirement sounds very well earned and I hope you have lots to look forward to.

All the best.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be missed. Simple as that.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Stunned.

Sad.

Shall miss you.

x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.