Reload this Page >

Good USA credit ratig worth anything in the UK

Wikiposts

Good USA credit ratig worth anything in the UK

Old Aug 12th 2005, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

jimmy911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good USA credit ratig worth anything in the UK

I have had an excellent credit rating in the USA for years, will this help me get started on a new rating in the UK.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:33 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good USA credit ratig worth anything in the UK

Originally Posted by jimmy911
I have had an excellent credit rating in the USA for years, will this help me get started on a new rating in the UK.
You may be able to transfer an Amex card to give you a start, but you will need to be in the UK for 3 years for normal credit. It is not all about score in the uk so much, as you know it.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
You may be able to transfer an Amex card to give you a start, but you will need to be in the UK for 3 years for normal credit. It is not all about score in the uk so much, as you know it.

Many people manage to get credit long before the 3 years is up - but it helps to build up a track record with a UK bank. Have salary paid in to the account etc.

As long as you can trust yourself, it makes sense to keep US credit cards, at least until you qualify for UK ones.

Jeremy
Old Aug 14th 2005, 12:56 am
Old-Fart

Bangers&Mash is on a distinguished road

Barclays Bank were excellent. When I moved back in May I opened an account with them & applied for their Visa card & received one with quite a high limit within 2 weeks. I don't think your USA credit rating is worth very much here though.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Good USA credit ratig worth anything in the UK

I would certainly get copies of your credit scores from the major credit reporting agencies Experian, Equifax, Transperian etc. I do know that Experian and Equifax operate in the UK too, although as a seperate entity and if you're applying for credit cards in the UK I would certainly show copies of your US scores and ask that this goes on your file.

When it comes down to it, having a job or some sort of regular income is going to be the major determining factor into whether you will be able to obtain credit.

Don't forget to register to vote on the Electoral Roll when you have your accommodation sorted out....it's crucial for credit card companies as it's the first thing they look at as they need to have proof of a UK address (fixed abode LOL!). You can do this at your local Town Hall.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Maybe somebody knows..
In the last 15 years we only lived for one year in the UK, but we always had a bank account with Barclay and out of the 15 Years, hubby was 12 years in the army. We live in Belgium at the moment and will go to the UK in 2 years...will we have a problems to get a mortgage?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:58 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Good USA credit ratig worth anything in the UK

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Maybe somebody knows..
In the last 15 years we only lived for one year in the UK, but we always had a bank account with Barclay and out of the 15 Years, hubby was 12 years in the army. We live in Belgium at the moment and will go to the UK in 2 years...will we have a problems to get a mortgage?
I've just come across these UK mortgage insurance brokers who help expats (without an established UK credit rating) get a mortgage:

http://www.expatriate-mortgages.co.uk
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Maybe somebody knows..

Not sure how the law currently stands at the moment, but I used to arrange mortgages for people 15 years ago and even people with zero credit rating from bangladesh with a couple of CCJs could get a mortgage with certain companies. The rate they paid was astronomical but it could be done.

This link offers advice on the current laws and there's a facility to speak to an advisor.

http://www.expat-mortgages.co.uk/

Good Luck Eurotramp.