Wikiposts

Going with K-1...

Old Aug 19th 2001, 6:50 am
Brad

Well, we've decided that we're going with the K-1 and not the tourist visa as a way
to get married. It just seems the safest route to take. I'm going to go down to fly
to PA next weekend and stay 3 or 4 months with my fiancee, making sure our petition
gets out ok, waiting for approval, and than waiting for my visa info to arrive at
home here in Canada. Than I'll go back to Canada, finish it all off with the
interview, physicals, etc, and off I go back to PA. It will cost us more money, but
will give us peace of mind. Now, at the POE, I don't have to answer positively to any
questions about marriage, intent to immigrate, etc. But I'd like to know, if I tell
the officer there that I am going down to be with my fiancee and file K-1 papers
before coming back and completing it, will he/she still be hesitant to let me in? I
neeed to be able to stay the 4 months. I won't offer any info., but I'd like to be
able to tell the complete truth going over. Will it bite me in the a$$ later even
though we are going the K-1 route now? Thanks again, Alvena et al.

Old Aug 19th 2001, 8:35 am
Alvena Ferreira

brad wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

My recommendations if I was in your situation (and I'm not, so bear that in mind):
1. Answer only what you are asked, and do NOT volunteer or elaborate in any way
whatsoever.
2. Repeat of rule #1, most people do not listen when they are told this.
3. Bring along AMPLE proof of your intent to return to Canada, in case they ask, but
do NOT volunteer it.
4. Always tell the truth to any consular, port of entry, or INS officer, but again,
do NOT volunteer anything more than you are asked. For instance, if they ask you
if you have a girlfriend, say Yes, but do not volunteer that you have a fiance,
wait for them to ask. If they ask if you plan to marry on this entry, state no and
leave it at that. If they ask for more details, answer them as they ask them, but
do not volunteer anything. Always answer a "yes or no" question with yes or no and
not more than that.
5. If you start out telling the POE officer that you are a US citizen's fiance and
going to spend 3-4 months, your chances of getting into the US will be much less.
Wait for them to ask the purpose of the trip. If asked, state "to visit a friend."
If they don't ask more, don't tell more.
6. bring along sufficient clothes and money for the stated length of your trip. If
you state that you are going to spend 3-4 months, this will make your chances for
entry less (since most people cannot take this much time off work), and it would
be to your advantage to plan a shorter trip (eg, two weeks) and then "change your
mind" about how long you plan to stay after you get to the US. If you are going to
fly, get tickets that allow you to change the date of the return flight.
7. Stay casual. Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Aug 19th 2001, 8:41 am
Richelle Thalgott

Just curious here. Don't you have a job here in Canada? How can you afford to spend 4
monthes in PA without working? I'm very jealous. I wish I could do that. I just got
home from visiting my fiance. I came back to go to work again while we wait for my
interview(which is in 2 days!!). Then I wait another month to move because the
wedding is planned for Dec. 8(that's our own fault of course but when we set the date
we didn't know when the interview would be!). BTW, where in PA is your fiancee? I was
just there for a week. Nice state. Cheers...

Tonya

>
    >
going
    >
fiancee,
    >
waiting
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
papers
    >
    >
    >
bite
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 19th 2001, 9:05 am
Onigiri

I hope noone posts the "horror stories" of the Pennsylvania airport immigration
experiences before this kid comes over. If he promises to post his POE experience
we'd know the outcome, we in the ng could start a pool on whether or not he gets in.
Your witness taining instructions list should get on the FAQ . The one about keeping
the mouth shut is well reiterated. Well done.

>
[usenetquote2]> > Well, we've decided that we're going with the K-1 and not the tourist[/usenetquote2]
visa
[usenetquote2]> > as a way to get married. It just seems the safest route to take. I'm[/usenetquote2]
going
[usenetquote2]> > to go down to fly to PA next weekend and stay 3 or 4 months with my[/usenetquote2]
fiancee,
[usenetquote2]> > making sure our petition gets out ok, waiting for approval, and than[/usenetquote2]
waiting
[usenetquote2]> > for my visa info to arrive at home here in Canada. Than I'll go back to Canada,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > finish it all off with the interview, physicals, etc, and off I[/usenetquote2]
go
[usenetquote2]> > back to PA. It will cost us more money, but will give us peace of mind. Now, at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the POE, I don't have to answer positively to any questions[/usenetquote2]
about
[usenetquote2]> > marriage, intent to immigrate, etc. But I'd like to know, if I tell the officer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there that I am going down to be with my fiancee and file K-1[/usenetquote2]
papers
[usenetquote2]> > before coming back and completing it, will he/she still be hesitant to[/usenetquote2]
let
[usenetquote2]> > me in? I neeed to be able to stay the 4 months. I won't offer any[/usenetquote2]
info.,
[usenetquote2]> > but I'd like to be able to tell the complete truth going over. Will it[/usenetquote2]
bite
[usenetquote2]> > me in the a$$ later even though we are going the K-1 route now?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
more.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 19th 2001, 2:31 pm
Steve Hubbard

File it...get your 1st Notice of Action...get an I-693 in advance...go to the Embassy
in Canada and file directly for a K-3 and you'll be here (I-693 Medical Exam must be
filed with the K-3 directly with the US Embassy in the foreign spouses
country)...easy...K-3's now available after the I-129f or I-130 has been filed...the
US Embassy will want to see the official receipt of the "Notice of Action" I'm sure
but this is just an educated guess...best wishes...Shubb

Old Aug 19th 2001, 3:08 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Please stop spreading false information. Have you read the guidlines that were
published? You can't just waltz into a Consulate with a notice of action and ask
for a K-3.

As for the I-129F, that is what is used by the person in the US to petition for the
K-3 AFTER the first I-130 NOA. It get sent to a special address in Chicago, and only
after THAT is approved is a K-3 interview scheduled.

Betastar

Old Aug 19th 2001, 11:32 pm
Ladiegrey

From our own experience and my hubby's (then k-1 bf) being detained at POE i
wouldnt say anymore then asked..even then* i would NOT say anything about
'fiance' or 'k-1'....i admire your honesty, but INS wont. Just come to USA and
'visit'.... cheers*