British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Girlfriend Visiting US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/girlfriend-visiting-us-764844/)

Kaden Jul 13th 2012 3:02 am

Girlfriend Visiting US

I know you guys receive quite a few of these (I've read a lot of them to try and reassure myself), but I have a question regarding my girlfriends upcoming visit to the US to see me.

We met online two years ago, (I'm 23, and she is 20) and have been in steady contact since then, talking everyday, phone, gifts, all that fancy stuff. In 19 days, she is scheduled to come to the US so we can finally meet. She will be staying for 2 months, and has the following documentation:

ESTA Confirmation, Return Ticket, Letter from her University, Proof that she has paid for next years accommodations, a bank statement to show funds, as well as a letter from myself with all the details of where she will be staying during her visit. She is incapable of lying, and has decided she can't say "I'm here visiting a friend". She simply won't allow herself to do it.

Is there anything else we can do to better her chances of getting in? This trip has been in the making for a long time, and afterwards, I'm set to travel to the UK to spend Christmas with her and her family. I'd hate for this all to derail, and I'm incredibly nervous about it all.

Noorah101 Jul 13th 2012 4:24 am

Re: Girlfriend Visiting US

Originally Posted by Kaden (Post 10169648)
Is there anything else we can do to better her chances of getting in?

No.

Most likely she won't have any problems, being her first trip and all. She should only show any of that documentation if specifically asked by the POE officer, though.

Rene

The Earl of Drumer Jul 13th 2012 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Kaden (Post 10169648)
I'd hate for this all to derail, and I'm incredibly nervous about it all.

I really wouldn't be; she has documents to show if needs be, and if I was a betting man I'd say they probably won't even ask for proof.

civilservant Jul 13th 2012 6:13 am

I went through this on at least 4 occasions when visiting my now wife. She should be prepared for some quickfire questions - I was always asked return date, where I worked and how many days leave I had in a year. It was never a problem and I've never been pulled to secondary (touch wood).

lj2 Jul 17th 2012 11:32 am

I did this a few times - you sound well prepared and like there should be no problem. Relax, and instead start being worried about meeting the girl!! ;)

All the best, good luck to you - I hope it all works out in the long term. And if it is a good trip, start thinking about long term immigration implications - no harm in learning.

Most of all - enjoy it!! It will be an exciting trip for both of you and make sure you enjoy your time together :)

Oh, ad just to add - I was pulled into secondary once too - again, not a problem. Just wanted to ask a few extra questions and hne seemed apologetic for doing it... I only point this out to say if they do, don't worry about it.

Eric S Jul 17th 2012 3:57 pm

If and when the two of you decide to make things permanent, note that there is a Marriage Based Visas forum on here. :)

Good luck.

- Eric S.