Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting ready to send off I-129F packet

Wikiposts

Getting ready to send off I-129F packet

Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

TyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really nice
Default Getting ready to send off I-129F packet

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to send off the I-129F packet. I wanted to double check that I had included the correct things. Just to remind I am the USC and he is finishing his last year of uni in the UK! We met while working as camp counselors two years ago.

Here's what I have:

1. His G-325A
2. My G-325A
3. A copy of my US Birth Certificate, both sides
4. A copy of my passport, all pages included
5. Two passport sized photos, one of each of us with our names written on the back, sealed inside a plastic bag.
6. A photo of both of us together, with date and location printed on the back, sealed inside a plastic bag.
7. A check made out for $455.00
8. The I-129F form
9. Still working on written statements.

Questions
1. I know we need written statements establishing mutual intent to marry... how long should these be? In what format?

2. Is a paragraph in section 18 enough, or should we attached a more detailed description of how we met?

3. We can't find any plane ticket stubs to prove that we have met each other in person... just receipts that we purchased the tickets. We do, however, have photographs of us together in each country and we have a copy of his J-1 visa from when we met two years ago. Should we include that? Or, he will be visiting me again in two weeks... should we wait to file and include his plane ticket stub?

4. Would it help to include a statement from the summer camp director confirming that she employed both of us and that we have been in a relationship for two years?

5. My passport expires in four years and 10 months... does it need to expire in no less than five years or is this okay?

Thanks!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting ready to send off I-129F packet

Originally Posted by TyingtheKnotGirl
1. I know we need written statements establishing mutual intent to marry... how long should these be? In what format?
Just a brief statement which says you are both free to marry, and that you intend to do so within 90 days of the K-1 entry. Nothing fancy, and no particular format.

2. Is a paragraph in section 18 enough, or should we attached a more detailed description of how we met?
I didn't even write a paragraph, I just wrote enough to fit on that line on the form. I wrote something like "met on vacation in Turkey in 1997, then again in 2001. Got engaged in 2003".

3. We can't find any plane ticket stubs to prove that we have met each other in person... just receipts that we purchased the tickets. We do, however, have photographs of us together in each country and we have a copy of his J-1 visa from when we met two years ago. Should we include that? Or, he will be visiting me again in two weeks... should we wait to file and include his plane ticket stub?
You need to provide proof that you have met in person within the past 2 years. Photos are good, but they don't really prove any dates. When was the last time you saw each other physically? Hopefully not more than 2 years ago. Passport stamps are good for proving when you were in each other's country. His passport pages showing the stamp when he entered on the J-1 (unless that was more than 2 years ago), or when he exited the USA and returned to the UK (if that was within the past 2 years). If you visited him, your passport pages probably show your stamp to the UK, etc. Did you save any flight itineraries? It doesn't prove you actually took the flight like a ticket stub would, but it might be helpful.

4. Would it help to include a statement from the summer camp director confirming that she employed both of us and that we have been in a relationship for two years?
You can include an affidavit like that if you want to, if you think your other evidence is weak.

5. My passport expires in four years and 10 months... does it need to expire in no less than five years or is this okay?
Your passport is a non-issue in this process. You are fine the way it is.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

TyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really niceTyingtheKnotGirl is just really nice
Default Re: Getting ready to send off I-129F packet

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just a brief statement which says you are both free to marry, and that you intend to do so within 90 days of the K-1 entry. Nothing fancy, and no particular format.

I didn't even write a paragraph, I just wrote enough to fit on that line on the form. I wrote something like "met on vacation in Turkey in 1997, then again in 2001. Got engaged in 2003".

You need to provide proof that you have met in person within the past 2 years. Photos are good, but they don't really prove any dates. When was the last time you saw each other physically? Hopefully not more than 2 years ago. Passport stamps are good for proving when you were in each other's country. His passport pages showing the stamp when he entered on the J-1 (unless that was more than 2 years ago), or when he exited the USA and returned to the UK (if that was within the past 2 years). If you visited him, your passport pages probably show your stamp to the UK, etc. Did you save any flight itineraries? It doesn't prove you actually took the flight like a ticket stub would, but it might be helpful.

You can include an affidavit like that if you want to, if you think your other evidence is weak.

Your passport is a non-issue in this process. You are fine the way it is.

Rene
Thank you so much for your help!