Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

getting ready for DS156k

Wikiposts

getting ready for DS156k

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

BenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really nice
Default getting ready for DS156k

Hi all
I have a very quick question (I hope) about the DS156 & DS156K forms.

I am divorced and have 2 children who will not be immigrating with me, they will remain in the UK with their mother.

DS156K -
specifically question 5 and the documents relating to it.

Q5 relates to listing my children and their details, but I can't find the definition of 'unmarried children' and don't know if I should list them in this question anyway as they are not part of the application. Consequently regarding supply of the documentation, if the children are listed I assume I will need to supply birth certificates for both?

DS156 -
questions 18 & 19 - 'spouses full name' & 'spouses DOB'

with these questions, I am divorced and so have no spouse (I am applying K1 anyway!) and yet it still requires me to fill these in for my ex-wife; is that correct?

question 36 - 'has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf'

I have never applied for one before, until my fiancee sent off the I-129f last week, do I answer yes or no seeing as she has sent the I-129f?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by BenFrancis; Mar 22nd 2010 at 12:13 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting ready for DS156k

Originally Posted by BenFrancis
Hi all

I am divorced and have 2 children who will not be immigrating with me, they will remain in the UK with their mother.

DS156K -

Q5 relates to listing my children and their details, but I can't find the definition of 'unmarried children' and don't know if I should list them in this question anyway as they are not part of the application. Consequently regarding supply of the documentation, if the children are listed I assume I will need to supply birth certificates for both?

DS156 -

with these questions, I am divorced and so have no spouse (I am applying K1 anyway!) and yet it still requires me to fill these in for my ex-wife; is that correct?

I have never applied for one before, until my fiancee sent off the I-129f last week, do I answer yes or no seeing as she has sent the I-129f?

Many thanks in advance!
Observation: The DS-156 is a generic form used for all non-immigrant visas.

Definition: General definition of "child" under the immigration laws is unmarried child under 21. Some forms and their instructions do make reference "married child[ren]" which is a pure oxymoron.

Further observation: it is common for posters on this forum to ask if they are excused from asking a particular direct question "because ...." The general answer is "no."

No advice given nor intended.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

BenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really nice

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Observation: The DS-156 is a generic form used for all non-immigrant visas.

Definition: General definition of "child" under the immigration laws is unmarried child under 21. Some forms and their instructions do make reference "married child[ren]" which is a pure oxymoron.

Further observation: it is common for posters on this forum to ask if they are excused from asking a particular direct question "because ...." The general answer is "no."

No advice given nor intended.
Thanks for your reply :-)

I'm struggling to relate your reply, could you elaborate please?

Sorry!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all

DS156K -

DS156 -

Many thanks in advance!
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you. My understanding is that you always list your children even if they are not going to be moving with you. I could be wrong.

These forms are used for visas other than the K1. You've already answered your own question - you do not have a spouse, therefore that section is not relevant to you.

Just an observation but you have lots of time to get these forms filled out - you haven't got your NOA1 yet.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you. My understanding is that you always list your children even if they are not going to be moving with you. I could be wrong.

These forms are used for visas other than the K1. You've already answered your own question - you do not have a spouse, therefore that section is not relevant to you.

Just an observation but you have lots of time to get these forms filled out - you haven't got your NOA1 yet.
thanks Jeepgirluk, always helpful to get other opinions!
and yes, lots of time... but wanna make sure there are no surprises or hiccups!
:-)
thanks again, B
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

thanks Jeepgirluk, always helpful to get other opinions!
and yes, lots of time... but wanna make sure there are no surprises or hiccups!
:-)
thanks again, B
You have plenty of time. Allow anything from 3 to 5 months between sending in your I-129F to getting NOA2. Once NOA2 is received it's really time to start getting yourself organised. Familiarise yourself with the documents but honestly, don't give yourself a headache quite so early on in this process.

It's good to know how to apply for your police certificate. Make sure you have a long-form birth certificate. Start listing your addresses since you were 16. Make a list of all the countries you have visited in the last 10 years. That should keep you busy but I didn't do any of these things until we had NOA2. If you're organised and take your time there hopefully won't be any surprises.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

BF,

General rule of thumb: answer the question that is asked. Do not delete words that you don't like, add words that your imagination sees but your eyes do not, or otherwise twist the question around.

Regards, JEff

DS156K -

DS156 -