Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Old Mar 20th 2017, 3:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on VWP- advice needed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is crucial advice IMO, be pleasant but only answer the question asked - do not get suckered into filling gaps between questions with rambling answers.
Ian's advice on this is, if asked if you know the time, just say yes, he isn't asking 'What's the time' so don't add to a simple answer.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Ian's advice on this is, if asked if you know the time, just say yes, he isn't asking 'What's the time' so don't add to a simple answer.
I can see where he's coming from with that advice, but for me that is just on the wrong side of the dividing line between polite and obtuse, and IMO "Yes, thank you, I do." would be right on the line.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A more relevant situation would be when a cop pulls you over and asks "do you know how fast you were going?" Pretty much anything you say beyond a simple "yes" is going to be admission of guilt of something.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieN
I keep getting conflicting information. I think i'll be better off posting the dress off. If it gets lost i'll just get married in my normal clothes. I can't get married if i'm being frog-marched out of the country.
I flew into Newark with my wedding dress in my carry-on. (It was small, also, and not a "wedding dress" wedding dress, so very discreet.) I got asked less questions at the border on this particular trip than on any I'd been on beforehand, and was off the plane and through security an hour before I was even due to land!

I agree with all the other above advice. If you're asked directly if you're there to get married, tell them 'yes' and, if necessary, provide your documents that prove your intent to return to the UK. If you're not asked if you're there to get married, answer the questions as you normally would and sail on through.

I understand your anxiety - I had exactly the same fears when I was in your boat. I'm sure everything will be fine, and having the dress posted will alleviate your fears even more.