Reload this Page >

Getting married on the VWP

Wikiposts

Getting married on the VWP

Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:41 am
Just Joined

Rob_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married on the VWP

I would first like to thank everyone for such great contributions to this site, this site has been extremely useful for me and my fiance.

So I am engaged to a US citizen and I am a Swedish citizen. Me and my fiance have planned to get married in the US in just a few months and then a few days after the wedding move to Sweden (I will be there for around 2 weeks). We have just received the appropriate visa for her (my fiance) to live in Sweden so everything has gone smooth so far.

Well the question is if I am allowed to get married on the VWP? I have been searching a lot for visas but havent found anything. I have been to the US 5 times before whereas the last time for just over 3 weeks and that will be almost 9 months from the date I will be travelling there.

I have a well paid job in Sweden and I have been thinking of bringing proof of my contract along with some other papers. My Mother and Father will be travelling with me since they will attend the wedding, do you think that will make things easier for me at the POE? And do you think I will be alright telling the officer at the border that I am here for vacation to visit some friends? If they will ask me specifically if I am getting married I will of course tell them the truth.

Thank's again for a great site
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on the VWP

As long as you don't plan to stay and adjust your status you can marry on the VWP, just bring as much proof as you can to show you aren't staying, a copy of your fiances visa to Sweden could be useful as is your contract of employment. You just have to follow all the local requirements for getting married, license, possible blood test, etc.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also bringing your future wife's visa or whatever it is called to live in Sweden would be beneficial.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys I will for sure bring a lot of proof. Do you think I will be alright saying that I'm coming for vacation with my parents and that we are seeing some friends and then just tell them about the whole marriage thing if they specifically ask? My parents know a lot of people where the wedding will be held and and we are going to visit them too so I mean I dont think it's lying telling them that.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_
Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys I will for sure bring a lot of proof. Do you think I will be alright saying that I'm coming for vacation with my parents and that we are seeing some friends and then just tell them about the whole marriage thing if they specifically ask? My parents know a lot of people where the wedding will be held and and we are going to visit them too so I mean I dont think it's lying telling them that.
I think you should just answer whatever question is asked at the POE, honestly, but without volunteering extra information. Are you bringing a suit (tuxedo, formal attire)? Are you bringing wedding rings? Are you bringing any other wedding related stuff?

It might be better for you to just be up front about your intentions, there is nothing illegal about getting married on the VWP and then returning home. You will have excellent proof by showing your future wife's immigration documents to Sweden.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:47 am
Just Joined

I wont be carrying any wedding stuff with me. Well I will be carrying a suite which I have done on every trip so far. The thing is that I will be travelling with my parents so I think we all get to speak to the CBP officer at the same time. So I would probably just leave it to my parents and tell the CBP officer we are here for vacation. If they specifically ask then they would of course tell them the truth. I just feel like they will turn us away if we start it off by mentioning about my wedding.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Rob,

From one Swede to another Swede:

So much easier getting married in Sweden, considering that any POE CBP encounter for an "alien"visitor is pretty much unchartered territory, depending on the current mood of the CBP officer in question that you happen to encounter.

BTW, I´m also a Swedish citizen with a USC girlfriend.
Best of luck!