Getting Married for Visa

Wikiposts

Getting Married for Visa

Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

ddunn1873 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Married for Visa

Hello All,

I am about to get my L-1a visa and move to Boston (paperwork done, interview 10th April), unfortunately my girlfriend is not keen on a quickie marriage and wants me to support her in the US at least until she changes her mind.

I know that she initially should get the 6month tourist visa and what restrictions that brings with it (6months in 6 months out).

My question is that when in the US and she agrees to get married can we do it over there? In any state? And transfer her to an L-2 over there? Or would she/we have to come back to the UK?

Cannot wait to get moving, over there this week to work and get an apartment for May/June
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married for Visa

If she qualifies to use the VWP, it will be difficult for her to get a B-2 tourist visa, unless you are currently cohabitating and can prove it to the ConOff. In that case, she has a better chance of getting a B-2 cohabitating partner visa. If you are not currently living together, it will be difficult for her to get a regular B-2 visa.

Once inside the USA, then yes, you can get married there, in any state. She would have to leave the USA in order to get an L-2 visa. No visa to the USA can be issued from within the USA, only from outside the USA. She might not have to go all the way back to the UK, perhaps they could issue the L-2 in Canada.

Rene
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddunn1873
I know that she initially should get the 6month tourist visa and what restrictions that brings with it (6months in 6 months out).
Respectfully, she's unlikely to get a B-2 visitor's visa if she is otherwise eligible to use the VWP... 90 days in and more than 90 days out.

My question is that when in the US and she agrees to get married can we do it over there? In any state?
Yes, you can marry wherever you want. Each state has different rules for marriage, so you'll want to check the requirements for your particular state.

And transfer her to an L-2 over there? Or would she/we have to come back to the UK?
She must leave the US in order to get an L-2 visa insofar as visas cannot be issued from within the US. She'll need a copy of the marraige certificate, and proof of your valid L-1 visa.

Ian
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

ddunn1873 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;9982379]Respectfully, she's unlikely to get a B-2 visitor's visa if she is otherwise eligible to use the VWP... 90 days in and more than 90 days out.

What is the point of the B-2 co-habiting visa if anyone eligible for VWP cannot use it?

90 days in and then out is basically useless!

We have lived together for 6 years and own a house together, so I would pretty much guarantee that we would be classed as co-habiting?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ddunn1873;9982427]
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Respectfully, she's unlikely to get a B-2 visitor's visa if she is otherwise eligible to use the VWP... 90 days in and more than 90 days out.

What is the point of the B-2 co-habiting visa if anyone eligible for VWP cannot use it?

We have lived together for 6 years and own a house together, so I would pretty much guarantee that we would be classed as co-habiting?
The responders have said that your girlfriend is unlikely to get the B-2 VISITORS visa since she is eligible to use the VWP. She is likely to get the B-2 COHABITING visa, which, if issued, gives her up to 6 months at a time and can be extended/renewed.

Girlfriends/boyfriends don't have the same 'permanency' as spouses/fiancees when it comes to visas and so don't get the same privileges
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ddunn1873;9982427]
Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian infact said that she's unlikely to get a B2 visitors visa and not a B2 cohabitating visa if she can use the VWP..they are 2 different things.
Sounds like she has an excellent chance of getting a B2 cohabitating visa.
B2 visiting visas are usually issued to retirees or people from countries which do not have the VWP agreement with the US.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddunn1873
Feel free to read what I actually wrote... not what you think I wrote.

Great... so all you need to do now is prove it to US immigration.

Ian