Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting Married in the US-Moving to UK. Spouse Visa?

Wikiposts

Getting Married in the US-Moving to UK. Spouse Visa?

Old May 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Erin

Default Getting Married in the US-Moving to UK. Spouse Visa?

Hi there, I have a question and really hope someone out there can help me. My finace
is a UK citizen, I am an American. I want him to come here for the wedding, i really
want to be married here at home. I plan on moving to England with him after we are
married. My question is.. After the wedding, can we go straight to the British
Consulate office and apply in person for my spouse visa? I heard when you apply in
person you will recieve your visa the same day. Also, an extra little question if
anyone knows the answer.. My fiance lives with his father, whom has agreed to let us
stay with him for a few months after we are married until we find and settle into our
own flat. Will the fact that we are not settled in our own place pose any problem in
getting my spouse visa? Perhaps we should bring along a letter of support from his
father stating that we are free to stay with him? Any info you have will be of great
help. Thanks!

Old May 17th 2002, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting Married in the US-Moving to UK. Spouse Visa?

Yes, you can apply in person for the spousal visa. No, there won't be a problem living with relatives, and yes, it's a good idea to bring a letter from your fil.

http://www.britainusa.com
Old May 18th 2002, 2:20 pm
Xtrynytix

Default Re: Getting Married in the US-Moving to UK. Spouse Visa?

We did just that. Married in the US then filed for a Settlement Visa. We didn't get
it on the same day however. But that may have been due to September 11th. It was two
weeks after that, that we applied. The application was made in Washington DC.

However, we received it 10 days later and we were staying with my parents too. My
father just had to supply evidence that he could support us until we gained
employment and that my US husband would not be a public charge in the interim period.

Good Luck )