Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting Married To US Girlfriend

Wikiposts

Getting Married To US Girlfriend

Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:58 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married To US Girlfriend

Originally Posted by kayk03055
No I completely agree - if I knew there was a correct way I would have done it - that's why people should talk to many attorney's - we took the first one and it could have ended badly! So please don't think I am advising anyone here .

Just saw your update - damn our attorney screwed us over on payment!
Don't worry about it - I came across harder than I meant to. Your advice is as welcome here as mine!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:31 am
Just Joined

PiKA 1776 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just to clarify i just wanted to see what the options were. i have talked to an immigration lawyer, and was just exploring the options available. all i want is to be able to marry my girlfriend and be with the girl that i love. the only reason i have considered moving to the US is because she currently cannot immigrate to the UK. Please dont think i am going down the AOS route, i just wondered what the process was. i am not getting married for immigration purposes, instead for a little thing called love.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PiKA 1776
Hi,

Just to clarify i just wanted to see what the options were. i have talked to an immigration lawyer, and was just exploring the options available. all i want is to be able to marry my girlfriend and be with the girl that i love. the only reason i have considered moving to the US is because she currently cannot immigrate to the UK. Please dont think i am going down the AOS route, i just wondered what the process was. i am not getting married for immigration purposes, instead for a little thing called love.
Are you both currently free to marry? (no divorces still pending, or only in 'nisi' status?)

If so, you're free to get started now.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
After entering the USA using the VWP, have a consultation with a US immigration attorney. After reviewing the facts of your situation the attorney will tell you what you would have to go through.
Generally, you and I see eye to eye on most things... but on this post, I must disagree. The OP has already spilled his guts on the matter of prior intent... he can't now honestly claim that the thought never crossed his mind.

If, as you suggest, he consults an attorney after entering on the VWP, then one of two things will happen if he wants the outcome he desires: 1) he lies to the attorney to conceal his prior intent and the advice the attorney gives will be based on false information; or 2) he admits the prior intent to the attorney at which point the attorney will respond in one of two ways: 1a) he suggests that the guy goes ahead and attempts to adjust status; or 2a) he suggests that the guy returns to his own country and does things legally.

I suspect that if (1a) is the response, he'll follow that advice whether or not it's actually legal. He likely won't seek to find a different attorney... one who actually believes the law is something to be upheld. I further suspect that if (2a) is the response, the guy will simply consult another attorney until he gets one to validate his preconceived immigration route. Either way, he's going to do what he wants!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify i just wanted to see what the options were.
Yes... whether legal or not!

... all i want is to be able to marry my girlfriend and be with the girl that i love.
Yes, don't we all.

Please dont think i am going down the AOS route...
You will eventually!

i am not getting married for immigration purposes, instead for a little thing called love.
All else being equal, love really doesn't enter into the immigration equation - it's certainly not a requirement.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:00 am
Just Joined

of course the thought must have gone through my mind at some point. however actually doing it/and or trying to do it hasnt. i was merely asking some questions, to satisfy my curiosity into the process. Ian there is no need to be so bitter and such a prick about it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:02 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

That's why the K1 and CR-1 visas exist, for people in your situation who wish to legally enter the US to marry, and or as a spose of a US Citizen.

You don't need to mess with a lawyer to do this, or even be worried about anything as long as you meet ther requirements, which I'm sure you do.

Ian isn't being a prick, sanctimonious or otherwise , he's just been here long enough to have heard a million and one posts just like yours. He has some good advice, should you care to take it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:04 am
Just Joined

i mean, jesus ian, i was only asking some questions. there is no need to get so uptight about this. it is all just talk and i will most likely go down the CR -1 route. i was just wondering what my full choice of options were, is that really wrong?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

ah, thanks sultanofswing, i just wanted to learn more thats all.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:07 am
I have a comma problem

i mean, jesus ian, i was only asking some questions. there is no need to get so uptight about this. it is all just talk and i will most likely go down the CR -1 route. i was just wondering what my full choice of options were, is that really wrong?
No, it's not wrong. You asked us your options and we told you.

Some people do actually go through with their plans to use the VWP express and it can result in a permanent ban from the USA, and then you'd be left high and dry.

But you have chosen the CR-1, so you won't have to worry now. In less than a year you'll be a permanent resident and it'll all be behind you. Good luck

Just saw your most recent post to me - you're welcome. Glad we could help you.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

Can something illegal even be considered an 'option'?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

you need to understand that this forum is full of posts of people asking about moving to the USA on the visa wavier program with intent to immigrate. Had you done a previous search you would of found all this information out before and then you wouldnt of added another "can i move and get married and stay on the VWP" thread.

You must also understand that its illegal to do so, and therefore illegal for us to help you with it, including providing information on how to do it. So all we can tell you is DONT DO IT. any information you want other then that you need to find on your own because none of us here want to do something illegal im sure you can understand this.

On top of all this, your in a marriage based forum....we all met someone we fell in love with, or we wouldnt be in this forum. That includes Ian. Yes your in love, yes you want to be with your love. but we have all been there, and some are going through the correct visa processes right now. So we understand how you feel, we also understand how frustrating this whole thing is living miles apart and having to wait longer to get a visa to be together forever....so think how many times everyone here has heard that love story?

Instead of coming onto this forum saying "im in love and want to get married on a VWP" use the search function first, realise that it shouldnt be done. and then ask questions ont he correct way of doing things. Then you will get a lot more helpful anwsers because those are questions we are likely able to know the anwsers to!

dont take this post as a nasty stab at you or the things your asking, im just explaining some of the anwsers in this thread.

how about you read up on the comparison of the K1 and CR1 visas and then ask questions about those?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

we have a lot of information in our wiki, and its been provided by members here that have gone through those exact routes so your getting some great free information!

good luck, i look forward to helping you should you choose the K1 visa (which is what i did!)
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what he's going to tell the attorney and I don't know what the attorney is going to tell him. But I do think that consulting an attorney in such a situation - entered on the VWP, got married, and now wish to know how to immigrate - is a good idea.

Agreed that different attornies may give different advice based on the same fact situation. Also, the same attorney may give different advice for very similar fact situations where a detail here or there may be different.

In any case, how he represents himself to us is not important. How he is questioned and represents himself on entry will be important, as will how he is questioned and represents himself at the adjustment interview should he decide to go that route.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Generally, you and I see eye to eye on most things... but on this post, I must disagree. The OP has already spilled his guts on the matter of prior intent... he can't now honestly claim that the thought never crossed his mind.

If, as you suggest, he consults an attorney after entering on the VWP, then one of two things will happen if he wants the outcome he desires: 1) he lies to the attorney to conceal his prior intent and the advice the attorney gives will be based on false information; or 2) he admits the prior intent to the attorney at which point the attorney will respond in one of two ways: 1a) he suggests that the guy goes ahead and attempts to adjust status; or 2a) he suggests that the guy returns to his own country and does things legally.

I suspect that if (1a) is the response, he'll follow that advice whether or not it's actually legal. He likely won't seek to find a different attorney... one who actually believes the law is something to be upheld. I further suspect that if (2a) is the response, the guy will simply consult another attorney until he gets one to validate his preconceived immigration route. Either way, he's going to do what he wants!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I don't know what he's going to tell the attorney and I don't know what the attorney is going to tell him. But I do think that consulting an attorney in such a situation - entered on the VWP, got married, and now wish to know how to immigrate - is a good idea.

Agreed that different attornies may give different advice based on the same fact situation. Also, the same attorney may give different advice for very similar fact situations where a detail here or there may be different.

In any case, how he represents himself to us is not important. How he is questioned and represents himself on entry will be important, as will how he is questioned and represents himself at the adjustment interview should he decide to go that route.

Regards, JEff
I thought it was important how you represent your immigration intentions on a public forum...especially one that US Immigration monitor.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome to think that.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought it was important how you represent your immigration intentions on a public forum...especially one that US Immigration monitor.