Wikiposts

Getting married in US

Old Oct 28th 2001, 12:53 pm
Stuart

Hi,

I am a UK citizen and my fiancee is a US citizen. We want to have the wedding in the
US, and then live in the UK. Can I travel to the US on the visa waiver program to get
married, or do I need to apply for a visa?

If, in a few years time, we want to move to the US as a married couple, what process
do we need to go through at that time?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of the details of what my fiancee will
have to do in order to move to the UK when we are married?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!

Stuart.

Old Oct 28th 2001, 2:20 pm
Xtrynytix

>
    >
    >

Hi

I came to the States on a K1. Before I married I realised I couldn't and didn't
want to live in the States. So, my now husband was more than happy for us to move
back to the UK.

All we did after our marriage was go along to the local UK Embassy, Washington being
the nearest one. Filled in the necessary forms, paid the fee and voila! Ten days
later he is the proud owner of a UK Clearance Visa. It entitles him to work straight
away and just before the year is up, he applies to become a permanent resident.
Simple as that. We fly home to the UK on the 31st October )

As for you returning to the States in a few years, I'm not sure about that. But,
there are many people within this newsgroup who will advise you. The advice on here
is excellent. Good Luck )

Old Oct 28th 2001, 6:25 pm
Shelley

If all you are doing is coming to the US to get married and then you and your new
wife are returning to the UK, I don't believe you need a fiancé visa. After all, a
fiancé visa is basically for the purpose of immigration, and if you are not staying
then you shouldn't need one. As a married couple in the UK, your USC wife can file
the I-130 directly at the London Consulate and this process takes only a few months
to complete. I know someone here has UK immigration websites, sorry I don't. Take
Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
what
    >
    >
    >
fiancee
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 28th 2001, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You can enter the US on the visa waiver programme - just make sure you stay for less than 90 days. You may want to take some kind of proof that you are returning to the UK after your wedding - the papers for the UK marriage visa should contain all the evidence you'll need.

Once you are married, your wife needs to apply for a marriage settlement visa from the UK Consulate that covers her place of residence in the US. It is very much preferable to go in person to apply for this visa, as you will be on hand to answer any questions they may have and this will enable them to issue it the same day. If you can't go to the consulate, it may take a week or two to do it by post. Either way, you should be able to travel back to the UK together. You need to provide the usual civil documents - birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports - along with evidence that you have somewhere to live in the UK (eg. mortgage/lease papers, utility bill) and can support your new wife (eg. 3 months of bank statements). The marriage settlement visa gives your wife permission to live and work in the UK for a year; near that time, she applies for leave to remain (very painless).

Full details of the marriage settlement process:
http://www.britainusa.com

When you decide to move to the US, you need to give yourself about 3 months to obtain your visa for the US (assuming the process is the same in the future). You apply through the US Consulate in London, and the visa is issued on the day of a medical and interview in London. When you arrive in the US, you are a green card holder from day 1.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk
http://www.ameriscot.com/i130/