Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married in UK but living in US

Getting married in UK but living in US

Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

msjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married in UK but living in US

Hi, I have a question about obtaining a marriage based visa for the UK. I am a USC living in the US and my boyfriend is a UKC living in the England. We plan on marrying in England during my next visit and then applying for him to come live here in the US.

It seems the process for getting married over there is a bit more difficult and I was hoping someone who's BTDT can help. From my understanding I have to obtain a non-settlement marriage visa and then notify the register office in England 28 days in advance of our marriage. Is this correct?

I went to the UK visa website because it says I have to apply online there to start the application process before I go to a local center here in the US to provide biometric information. But the UK visa site does not have a specific category for marriage visa. When I select the general visitor visa (which is the closest option) and indicate that I do not plan on working or staying longer than 6 months it says I do not require a visa.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a simpler way to do this? Or is there any place like Las Vegas near England where we can marry without all this mess
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in UK but living in US

Originally Posted by msjh
I was hoping someone who's BTDT can help.
Once you're married and want to ask about visas to the US, we can help you. However, this is not the correct site to ask about marriage visas to the UK. You may have better luck posting here. That's where people heading to the UK get advice.

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2015, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need a Marriage Visitor Visa:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

If it's only a small legal ceremony you want it would be easier for fiance to enter the US and you get married there. No visa necessary - some local rules probably. Then hubby flies back to UK and you start the visa process to the US.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Apr 1st 2015 at 6:15 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a simpler way to do this? Or is there any place like Las Vegas near England where we can marry without all this mess
In most countries in Europe you'll have language issues, and likely other complications. ..... Is there some reason why your fiancé can't visit the US for a weekend? It doesn't have to be Las Vegas as I believe most states can issue a marriage license and perform the marriage same day.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Or is there any place like Las Vegas near England where we can marry without all this mess
Gretna Green in Scotland.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Gretna Green in Scotland.
The last time I checked, and despite the best efforts of Alex Salmond, Gretna Green was still in the UK, so a visa will be required for a foreign visitor/non-resident to get married.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian. I've C&P'd my post over to there but they seem to be less active.

He's been over here to visit so many times and I'd like to visit there and we can really only afford one more trip this year (time off work and airfare). If we have to get married here we will but we were just hoping to combine a UK trip and a marriage.

I did try to apply online for the marriage visa but the category did not exist on the Beta website for online visa applications to the UK. And to talk to anyone on the phone or webchat costs money.

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian. I've C&P'd my post over to there but they seem to be less active.

He's been over here to visit so many times and I'd like to visit there and we can really only afford one more trip this year (time off work and airfare). If we have to get married here we will but we were just hoping to combine a UK trip and a marriage.

I did try to apply online for the marriage visa but the category did not exist on the Beta website for online visa applications to the UK. And to talk to anyone on the phone or webchat costs money.

Thanks for your help!
Not sure where you have copied and pasted it, but there is nothing posted by you on any other BE forum than this one.

This is the forum you need, just create your own thread there.

Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:16 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not sure where you have copied and pasted it, but there is nothing posted by you on any other BE forum than this one.

I'm guessing she's posted on UK Yankee.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As a US citizen you don't automatically need a marriage visitor visa to marry in the UK but if the primary purpose of your visit to the UK is to get married, as it will be, then you will need one.

If you're looking for a 'Las Vegas' type destination in Europe to get married, then try Gibraltar. Three hours from Heathrow, plenty of sunshine and no language barrier. Your marriage certificate will be in English as well. If it worked for John and Yoko it'll work for you.

http://www.visitgibraltar.gi/getting-married

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/mar...l-partnerships
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Yes, I posted in UK Yankee but the forum you listed has lots of helpful info. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis

If you're looking for a 'Las Vegas' type destination in Europe to get married, then try Gibraltar. Three hours from Heathrow, plenty of sunshine and no language barrier. Your marriage certificate will be in English as well. If it worked for John and Yoko it'll work for you.
Sounds lovely! If only it didn't require an advance booking and loads more money
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds lovely! If only it didn't require an advance booking and loads more money
I make it £111 in total for a registry office ceremony. Return flights for the two of you would be around £150-200 depending on when you flew and from where. Still less than flying your fiancé to the US.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You need a Marriage Visitor Visa:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

If it's only a small legal ceremony you want it would be easier for fiance to enter the US and you get married there. No visa necessary - some local rules probably. Then hubby flies back to UK and you start the visa process to the US.
Although the above link tells you about the Marriage Visitor's Visa, it doesn't tell you about the residency requirements. In England, I believe the whole process takes about three weeks after you arrive before you can get married.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
Although the above link tells you about the Marriage Visitor's Visa, it doesn't tell you about the residency requirements. In England, I believe the whole process takes about three weeks after you arrive before you can get married.
Do both of us have to meet the residency requirement if I am a USC living in the US and intend to return? He will easily meet the requirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.