Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married in the UK

Wikiposts

Getting married in the UK

Old Dec 31st 2001, 10:30 am
James Fogerty

does anyone know how long it would take if my Fiancee and I got married in England
and filed directly at the US Consulate to get a visa and return to the US as husband
and wife. We were told this is the easiest and shorest way, but we would like to know
is how "long is short"?

Old Dec 31st 2001, 11:12 am
Steve & Lisa

You did not say whether your US fiancé is a resident of the UK. If she isn't, then
you cannot do Direct Consular Filing as they require US citizen to have UK residency
to file DCF.

Lisa www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/home.htm

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 31st 2001, 6:00 pm
Alvena Ferreira

james fogerty wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

ONLY doable IF the US fiance is a resident of the UK, however if that be true, expect
2-3 months or less. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Jan 5th 2002, 11:28 pm
Synchro1212

Alvena, if for some reason we do not get approved for my fiance in ENgland to come to
US to marry me, then can I move to England and become resident and then we do DCF?
How long do I need to live in England before we can apply?

Old Jan 6th 2002, 12:18 am
Alvena Ferreira

Synchro1212 wrote:
    >
    >
    >

I cannot answer this, because I don't know why he would not be approved.
Some things are excusable, some are not. It is my understanding that
you would have to get an entrance visa to England, in order to marry and
live there. it does not take long to get this, however. You would have
to wait a year, i think, before you could do DCF at the consulate there.

However, there is a caveat to doing DCF in the UK: you would have to show
income/assets to meet the 125% poverty guideline, or have a co-sponsor, and you would
need US employment if you did not use co-sponsor. US employment might be hard to show
if you were living in England. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Jan 6th 2002, 1:25 am
Shane

[usenetquote2]>> Alvena, if for some reason we do not get approved for my fiance in ENgland to come[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> to US to marry me, then can I move to England and become resident and[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> we do DCF? How long do I need to live in England before we can apply?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I'm pretty sure when I got my visa via DCF at London, all my wife had to prove was
that she was resident in the U.K. I don't remember any time period mentioned. I'm not
100% certain.
--
Shane

Old Jan 6th 2002, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that it makes any difference where you get married, but your financeé MUST file her visa application where she is resident, not least because she will be summoned to an interview and medical.

I filed my visa application at the US Embassy in London in March 2001 and I was eventually granted my visa on 10 September. It would have been slightly quicker had it not taken me a couple of weeks to get the papers together after I was cleared through the first stage of the process.
Old Jan 7th 2002, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

I filed May 1st 2001 and received the immigrant visa (IR-1)on the 17th September (would have got an interview earlier but I couldn't get time off work).

I am the UKC (now US resident alien) my wife is the USC - to prove she was a resident of the UK we just photocopied her indefinite leave to remain permit in her passport and a few bank & cc statements.

PriZm.