Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married in the U.S.

Getting married in the U.S.

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married in the U.S.

I know you're not supposed to come to the United States on a visa waiver with the intent of getting married and then applying for a visa, but does immigration have a problem with going to the United States JUST to get married, then leaving and applying for a spousal visa while living elsewhere?

My boyfriend and I are considering staying over here in the UK for a couple of years (assuming I can get a UK visa, of course), but I'd like to get married in the United States either way so that our friends and family could attend. But I'm afraid that would cause problems for us down the line when we applied for the visa.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in the U.S.

Originally Posted by USGirl
I know you're not supposed to come to the United States on a visa waiver with the intent of getting married and then applying for a visa, but does immigration have a problem with going to the United States JUST to get married, then leaving and applying for a spousal visa while living elsewhere?

My boyfriend and I are considering staying over here in the UK for a couple of years (assuming I can get a UK visa, of course), but I'd like to get married in the United States either way so that our friends and family could attend. But I'm afraid that would cause problems for us down the line when we applied for the visa.

Thoughts?
No problem down the line. What you are proposing is perfectly legal.

Though you *could* face problems at the POE if they get wind of your marriage plans. Best to carry plenty of proof of your ongoing life in the UK, just in case (but only show if you run into problems).

Anyway, this question has been asked sooooooooooooo many times, including what to say at the POE - do a search

Last edited by Elvira; Apr 3rd 2008 at 3:53 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You *may* need a visa to return to the UK. What's your status there now?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts?
It's fine to use the VWP to get married in the USA. It's not OK to intend to remain after marriage and adjust status. So what you're asking to do is OK.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

I'm just visiting the UK now. We'd have to leave and then change my status so that I could live here in the US.

Sorry that this is a repeat question. I looked for it in previous posts and couldn't find it!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:29 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just visiting the UK now. We'd have to leave and then change my status so that I could live here in the US.

Sorry that this is a repeat question. I looked for it in previous posts and couldn't find it!
Just checking I've got the facts right so far...
You're a US citizen currently on a tourist visa in the UK.
Your boyfriend is a UK citizen currently in the UK.
You intend to come to the US and get married, then return to live in the UK for several years.

So...
After the marriage you will need a visa to return to the UK as the spouse of a UK citizen intending to reside there. You did not need a visa when you were a tourist on a visit.

More info @ http://talk.uk-yankee.com/
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Yep. You have the facts correct.

Essentially, our plan would be to go over to the U.S., get married, come back over to the UK on a spousal UK visa, but then ultimately (in a year or two) file to get him a US visa. We want to settle in the United States eventually.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Essentially, our plan would be to go over to the U.S., get married, come back over to the UK on a spousal UK visa, but then ultimately (in a year or two) file to get him a US visa. We want to settle in the United States eventually.
Use the two links in my siggy for when you want to come back to the US.

Check the British Consulate (info recently posted here) for the UK spouse visa for your return to the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:31 am
Septicity

So when you arrive at US immigration for the marriage, make sure you know what you both need to do to get you back. This is more evidence at the port of entry that you (or rather your boyfriend) will not be applying for adjustment of status while in the US.

BTW, if your year or two becomes two or three, you need to remain there until you are eligible for UK naturalization. Then that's one of you out of the way with immigration paperwork, hassle and $$$.