Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married - Problem with I-864 ($ support)?

Wikiposts

Getting married - Problem with I-864 ($ support)?

Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:37 am
Just Joined

dc27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting married - Problem with I-864 ($ support)?

Hello!

I am a US citizen, my future spouse is not. We've begun filling out the necessary forms we'll need to submit when we get married.

One of these is I-864, the Affidavit of Support. I know that I need more than about $16k in income each of the last three years. I have been a student this entire time, and therefore, my income has been less than that in 2 of the last 3 years.

However, I have an outstanding written job offer, which I will begin working at in the summer, and which exceeds the required level. Does anyone know if I can use that job offer letter to fulfill the requirements, or will we be shot down?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married - Problem with I-864 ($ support)?

Originally Posted by dc27
Hello!

I am a US citizen, my future spouse is not. We've begun filling out the necessary forms we'll need to submit when we get married.

One of these is I-864, the Affidavit of Support. I know that I need more than about $16k in income each of the last three years. I have been a student this entire time, and therefore, my income has been less than that in 2 of the last 3 years.

However, I have an outstanding written job offer, which I will begin working at in the summer, and which exceeds the required level. Does anyone know if I can use that job offer letter to fulfill the requirements, or will we be shot down?

Thanks in advance.
You need to show that you meet the minimum income requirements *currently*, not for the past 3 years. If you currently earn that much, you'll most likely be OK. If you currently do not, you only have a job offer, that won't work. You'll either need to wait until you're actually employed at the job with the proper income, or have a joint sponsor.

If your husband is living with you and earning income by the time you are filing his AOS, his income can be included.

Rene
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married - Problem with I-864 ($ support)?

Originally Posted by dc27
I know that I need more than about $16k in income each of the last three years.
Umm... no, you don't.

Does anyone know if I can use that job offer letter to fulfill the requirements, or will we be shot down?
Future earnings are meaningless! All that really matters is current earnings. If you earn enough now, great. If not, you'll likely need a joint sponsor. Or, postpone your marriage long enough so that your "outstanding written job offer" becomes reality and you have proof of it.

Ian