Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Wikiposts

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Originally Posted by meauxna

I long for lazy Sundays just sitting around reading books.
Getting paid to read would be my dream job, as long as I could choose the books.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:30 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well the cost of the marriage can be whatever you make it I suppose.

As far as immigration fees, there's the cost of both the fiance petition, then the visa, then all the aos fees. Without looking up all the figures, I suspect that adds up to quite a bit more than just filing for a spouse.

As far as time, your (and my) k-1 process was quick. But they aren't all that quick - I believe the standard estimates for time frames are only a couple months different between the two. And since the OP intends to get married sometime in the next few years, it doesn't sound like time is a big issue for him.

Again, especially with medical issues, there can be some huge advantages to being a permanent resident from day 1 entry to the US, as opposed to waiting months or even a year or more for permanent residency.
The K1 was defintely a better option for us . Everyone's situation is different though.