Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Wikiposts

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:18 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The British Embassy is in DC... and while there is a British Consulate in NYC, there is no Embassy there.

Ian
Sorry you're right It's the British Consulate
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:30 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Originally Posted by Tracym
It might have taken longer. A K1 could have taken longer as well. Generally, there isn't much difference - a few months perhaps.

But there are many advantages to coming over as a green card holder (permanent resident) instead of a K1. If people can stand being apart after being married, it's sure what I would recommend.
It seemed like the process would have taken longer and would have been an added expense. The registrar over there also wanted over 375 to marry us and thats pounds not dollars. Its aboyt $50 for a civil ceremony here. I would also have to get a biometric eye scan and fingerprint scan for the marriage visa for the UK as well. They implimented that last December. There were lots of other hassles ans well and it just seemed like a better option for us.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
She not only does not work, her USC husband does not work and is himself in a chair (both motorized). He is totally reliant on benefits here in the US and his carer is paid from State funds. His carer is his mother (although the couple live in their own home quasi independent) and she was able to use these funds to be the Joint Sponsor!

I only bring up their seemingly complicated situation because at the time I read the beginning of their story I thought "heartbreak ahead", but it was amazingly straight forward, and other than their additional expenses for transport and the need to get an adaptive entrance to the Embassy building, it was like any other K-1 case I've ever read about.

I thought the Public Charge thing would be a deal killer, but it was not. Neither was insurance (don't remember the details, but she got onto his State-based plan somehow). They both have significant medical needs.

Courage.
That was in Ca right? Someone last week mentioned that Ca has a much better benefit system than other states...can't remember if it was in this forum or the US forum. Unfortunately the OP doesn't want to move to Ca...maybe he'll change his mind.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lagerbreath
wow, that is pretty shocking but thanks for the info, its kinda put my mind at ease.
"kinda"?! Buck up!

PS: my husband has not had a j o b in the US since immigrating and has no plans to. He's a US citizen now.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

"
PS: my husband has not had a j o b in the US since immigrating and has no plans to..
Disgraceful ....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
It seemed like the process would have taken longer and would have been an added expense. The registrar over there also wanted over 375 to marry us and thats pounds not dollars. Its aboyt $50 for a civil ceremony here. I would also have to get a biometric eye scan and fingerprint scan for the marriage visa for the UK as well. They implimented that last December. There were lots of other hassles ans well and it just seemed like a better option for us.
Well the cost of the marriage can be whatever you make it I suppose.

As far as immigration fees, there's the cost of both the fiance petition, then the visa, then all the aos fees. Without looking up all the figures, I suspect that adds up to quite a bit more than just filing for a spouse.

As far as time, your (and my) k-1 process was quick. But they aren't all that quick - I believe the standard estimates for time frames are only a couple months different between the two. And since the OP intends to get married sometime in the next few years, it doesn't sound like time is a big issue for him.

Again, especially with medical issues, there can be some huge advantages to being a permanent resident from day 1 entry to the US, as opposed to waiting months or even a year or more for permanent residency.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

my husband has not had a j o b in the US since immigrating and has no plans to. He's a US citizen now.
You seem to be strangely ok with that?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning, pedant.
It's not an I-551 stamp they get any more, it's an endorsement of the MRIV.
What? Someone changed the rules and didn't tell me?

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

PS: my husband has not had a j o b in the US since immigrating and has no plans to. He's a US citizen now.
I like his style! This is also my goal in life!

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You seem to be strangely ok with that?
Strangely?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:29 am

What? Someone changed the rules and didn't tell me?

Ian
lol, you missed the memo? (you haven't been paying attention!)

I like his style! This is also my goal in life!

Ian
heh, see parenthetical comment above. Take a word from Nike: Just Do It!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely?
Well most womenfolk wouldn't take kindly to that kind of (in)activity.....
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:02 am
Account Closed

It's not an I-551 stamp they get any more, it's an endorsement of the MRIV.
Just another thought... how does this play out on the I-9? Last time I checked, an endorsed MRIV is not listed as an acceptable document!

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:29 am

Just another thought... how does this play out on the I-9? Last time I checked, an endorsed MRIV is not listed as an acceptable document!

Ian
I don't have the exact lingo in front of me.. "Upon endorsement, serves as a temporary I-551".
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Well most womenfolk wouldn't take kindly to that kind of (in)activity.....
I debated about a smarty answer or an explanation of who we are, but opt for neither.
I guess we're not like most folk, in general.

"Work" is different from "job" and "income" doesn't necessarily depend on either.

Plus, he's a better cook than me, likes housework and gardening and has that peculiar English obsession with ironing. He's also turned his latest hobby into quite a little empire, so "inactivity" is not a word you'd ever use to describe him if you met him.

I long for lazy Sundays just sitting around reading books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.